West Carolina Hospice Regatta and The South East Lakes in general

Started by Justin Scott, September 27, 2007, 02:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Scott

Cliff from West Carolina Sailing Club writes:-

"Hi. i think I'd mentioned this to you awhile back. i'm a member of the Western Carolina sailing club and we're having our hospice regatta from October 19-21. I was wondering if you could let your membership know as I know you have some Vipers in my area. the info can be found at http://wcsc_hospice.home.mindspring.com/. There'll be PHRF and Portsmouth racing although I the Vipers will fit in best in PHRF just because of the speed . Five+ boats get an OD start. We had 83 boats of all types last year and I think it would be a good chance for exposure for the boats."

Which prompts me to add........
I was very struck by the South East Lakes sailing scene when I attended a couple of events this last Spring on my way back from St Pete. There are many enthusiastic sailing clubs on these lakes with stunning scenery, keen sailors and great hospitality....all within a few hours driving from each other.
The Viper really would be an ideal boat to have a South East Lakes racing circuit on. Its easy to travel and is perfect for the conditions typically found on the SE Lakes.
This would be similar to the Open meetings of the UK where on a Friday evening you hitch up your boat.....drive a couple of hours......sail Saturday all day and Sunday morning and get back home for dinner on Sunday. Texas has something similar in the J22s. Any lake that picks up a couple of Vipers should think about doing this. The idea could really catch on.

For those from the NE who havent sailed on these large (typically man made) lakes. I can tell you that the combination of clean fressh water, beautiful pine forests, sandy beaches and Southern hospitality (did I mention Bar-B-Que?) is a great combination. If a SE Lakes circuit caught on, it would definitely be something you would want to consider in the Spring/Fall. The Lake Norman CODK in November is worth a start.

I will post Cliff's contact info when I have it.

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Justin Scott

"The regatta Head Man In Charge is Mark LeNeave. mailto:[email protected]. Your SE guys will probably know him.

Your guys should know that camping and boat storage is free and we ramp launch of course. The beer truck will be available from Friday nite."

Cliff
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee