broach recovery

Started by Rick Mallinson, May 09, 2010, 12:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Mallinson

this goes along with heavy air, but thought it might be worth having a separate topic.

So we broached (actually just thinking ahead). we can't really ease the vang or mainsheet, typically what you do on a backstayed boat, even as prebroach depowering. So other than dumping the spinsheet, what else can you do to prevent the broach or speed the recovery?

Jeff Jones

rick,  i may be corrected on this but you can dump the mainsheet during a broach - but it needs go back on immediatly when you get back on your feet before the kite fills.  That said, once you start to loose control its too late and dumping the gnav or mainsheet typically wont help you.  If the breeze is on hard and your reaching, cunningham helps.  The cunningham also helps keep maintain your pre-bend. 

If you're sailing in a big breeze and new to the boat you need to be very aggressive about anticipating puffs - and starting to turn down even before it gets to you.   If you're hot and get hit by a good puff, its' too late.  It will just take some time.

The good news is that typically broaches on the viper (unlike many boats) are not rough...  it almost happens in slow-motion with the driver saying "uh oh, i've lost it", followed by the boat slowly sliding over.   Typical MO is everyone should stay on the high side and wait a few seconds.  If it doesnt' appear the boat will come back soon the front person shold slide down and release 4 - 5 feet of halyard.  The boat will roll back up.  once it's back on its fee - halyard back on, mainsheet in, sheet in on the kite and back to warp 9.

Lee Shuckerow

I'm in agreement with ultraracer. When we wipe out the main sheet and gnav get blown off. The biggest key is evryone on the boat has to expect a wipe out and everyone needs to stay on the high side. When your on your side it will become apparent if the boat is going eight itself or not. If it doesn't want to right itself you have two options. 1- jump on the keel. 2- drop halyard.
Jumping on the keel is a tough call. Once your out there the boat rights quickly and getting back in the boat becomes a large proposition.
Dropping the halyard is a good way to go, but when we blow the halyard we just let her fly. The boat rights quickly that way and allows you time to get the main trimmed back in. Also you don't have to worry about the kite going in the water because the spinn pole keeps it high enough. The key part is don't EVER let the spinn pole in at any time or else you will be shrimping for sure. After the recovery don't forget to man up and put the spinnaker back up.
Jackpot  #235

Rick Mallinson

very helpful to think about. surprising to release the spin halyard, maybe most important since it unloads the mast lets you get going and retrim things. so when blowinf the spin halyard, soes much of it end up back in the chute? is that why you are not shrimping immediatly (since presumably the spin sheet was first to be dumped.

Jeff Jones

Shuck made a very good point - very important for the driver to communicate that its "uh oh" time to the crew (he'll know 2 or 3 seconds before anyone else).. so that everyone can throw a leg over the rail and stay on top of the boat.   

I've never had to touch the keel, i've always had someone go for the halyard.   

To answer your questio Rick - i dont beleive that any of it goes back in the chute - you have to get the top attachment point to the chute before any of it goes in the boat and that's about 15' up.   As shuck said, keeping the pole out keeps you from shrimping.  Although, if you let more than 4 - 5 feet go on the halyard i dont know if it could be avoided.     In my experience 5' has always done the trick.  It's like a magic button...  blow that and in a second the boat will stop sliding sideways on it's ear (mast kissing the water) and will roll up.

The most important thing to keep in mind is there should be no danger of sinking and the boat WILL come back up..  so everyone stay calm and hang loose for a bit.

Drew Harper

I um...er.....have some experience in crashing LMAO.

We have it to an art.

Boat spins out remarkably easy as it jumps off of a 4' wave in 25+. the rudder just sort of dangles in mid-air.

As the boat lies down, #1 (helm) leaves Gnav on, but eases main to knot (boom 10" from shrouds), #2 (kite trimmer) big ease on kite sheet, #3 (jib trim/tactics) dumps off 6-8 feet of kite halyard as #2 &1 move back to the nuke (stern quarter) position. On a three count, the #3 rolls to the quarter with #2 & 1, hoisting the kite halyard on the move, calls the full hoist (2 block) and straps in for a simultaneous hike from all three...as the boat rolls to windward, #2 pulls a ton of sheet on, #1 trims in the main and the boat just squirts away off on about 165? AWD. Kind of like waterstarting a windsurfer. Works great, especially if you get to practice it as much as us :-D

We keep saying we're gonna get this on film someday. Will try to this summer.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Jay Harrell

If you haven't yet water-started your Viper under spinnaker, you haven't been sailing in enough wind!  From the "uh oh" to the waterstart, the whole experience must be remarkable consistent because reading this thread feels awfully familiar.  The one thing I tell my newbie crew on the Viper is if/when we broach this thing, don't worry just hang on and DON'T FALL OFF THE BOAT.  First of all, you're about 7 feet in the air, and second we'll be up and sailing at full speed before you hardly know what happened.  You don't even have to ease the halyard until the "puff-off" wind speed is in the upper teens.

Kay VanValkenburgh

Since this thread comes to the top of searchengine results, how about if we revive the discussion and provide more up-to-date answers? Does anyone have the steps down pat?
first boat I ever owned was viper #28; it was a gateway drug.
my current viper is #98; I can't sail it enough.
the resulting sailing addiction's ok up to that point, but come Winter whydahell do I also have to frostbite a Laser?!

Garrett Johns

A great trick we learned a few years back (I think from Brad and Jackpot crew). It can be used in big breeze, just as you sense you are about to lose it, if your forward guy is quick enough and able to sense this sort of thing. Have them backwind the jib by cranking on the windward jib sheet quick. The backwinded jib will blow the bow back downhill before you round up and lose it. Works like a charm and has save us from a wipeout or 10.
Also looking forward to the new vertical rudder kits and seeing the difference they will make. If anyone hasn't ordered, you should
USA 129
Anacortes WA