Carolina Keelboat One Design CKOD Lake Norman, NC November 10 and 11

Started by jholleman, September 10, 2007, 08:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jholleman

The Carolina Keelboat One Design Regatta, to be sailed November 10 and 11 is an annual event at Lake Norman, just north of Charlotte.  On behalf of Lake Norman Yacht Club, I would like to invite all of you Viperer's to come join the fun.  Early November is a great season in North Carolina.  Breeze is usually good to great.  There will be a large U 20 fleet, J 80 fleet, probably a J 24 fleet as well as others.  Three boats makes a fleet.  For our northern brothers, if you would like to sail this regatta in November, St Pete in Feb, and the Lake Norman Spring Keelboat One design, trailer and boat storage can probably arrranged.  Several U 20's and S2 7.9's have done this in the past.  Let me know if you are interested.  For you southeastern sailors, it is a chance to get together.  For you folks from the frozen north, it is a way to extend the season.
Jerry Holleman
Viper #26

Jay Harrell

I've raced at Lake Norman Yacht Club in both November and March before in other boats and can highly recommend the venue and the club - they run great regattas there.  The weather is usually chilly, but the wind is usually pretty good. 

Justin Scott

This idea is starting to get some serious traction up here in the shortly to be frozen North.
If the boats from Sinclair, Norman, Lanier and Murray attend I think we could get as many as 10 Vipers on the line.

Let us know as more info is available.....http://www.lakenormanyachtclub.com/News/events-results.asp?EventID=494
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jay Harrell

"Soon to be frozen North?"  It was nearly unbearably hot in Columbia, South Carolina today - after a week of beautiful mid 70s while we all worked.   I can say I'm definitely looking forward to our typical November mid-60's.

Well, at least we got one good race in, and one bad race before the wind died completely.   And you would not believe the food here - the best regatta food ever!  Carabas and Outback.  Mmm, I'm stuffed.

jholleman

There is unfortunate news from Lake Norman.  Due to a severe drought this summer and fall, Lake Norman is 7 feet below full pond and 5 feet below the usual level for this time of the year.  Consequently most of the launch ramps around the lake are out of the water.  The Regatta Chairman is probably going to cancel the CKOD in the next couple of weeks unless the lake level is up, which is unlikely in the absence of a hurricane.   So....... you east coast sailors,  mark you calander for the second weekend in March and after you install your new masts and bulb kits, plan to kick off the season with the Lake Norman Mid-Winter Keelboat One Design Regatta. 
Jerry
# 26

Jay Harrell

Disappointing about the CKOD -

But don't forget to make your plans for the St Pete NOOD in February, and I'm happy to report that Lake Sinclair, being a pump-storage lake, is still full and OSYC would be happy to host a late fall or winter Viper event should some folks want to arrange a retreat from the frozen north en-route to St Pete.

Justin Scott

Damn shame about CKOD. We had a good turnout building. We were at least 9 committed boats and more signing up.

St Pete will be fun.

Despite Jay's concern about brown water the mood for adding Charleston RW to the circuit has been growing. More later.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

Viper - Mambo Kings

jholleman

The on again, off again, CKOD is back on again.  In spite of no rain, the lake level has not dropped any further.  U 20's are coming, J 24's are probably coming.  J 80's are moving their North Americans to Annapolis.  So..... if there is still interest, Vipers will get a start with 3 boats.  # 26 is in.  I understand that notice is short, but if you are intersted, let me know.
Jerry
# 26

Justin Scott

This is happening again. The short notice is due to the drought. I will be going down.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

Subject: Lake Norman CKOD and U20 East Coast championship
Just wanted to let you know that this regatta is  ON !!!!

The J80's, who were going to host their NAs the same weekend at LNYC, are moving to Annapolis, so the logistics in low water will be far simpler.

Our LNYC website remains 'iffy', so best to contact us directly if you have questions.

In the meantime, spread the word among the Vipers,  and we look forward to seeing you in November!

Emily & BJ

Emily Jones

AIG Global Benefits Network

4725 Piedmont Row Drive, Suite 500

Charlotte, NC  28210

704.564.8736  cell

704.553.5034 fax

[email protected]

Viper - Mambo Kings

Kay VanValkenburgh

Never came off my calendar, so no problem there! Looking forward to it!
first boat I ever owned was viper #28; it was a gateway drug.
my current viper is #98; I can't sail it enough.
the resulting sailing addiction's ok up to that point, but come Winter whydahell do I also have to frostbite a Laser?!

Jay Harrell

I'm in too.  Justin and Kay have promised us a tune-up session...

Paul Zimmerman

I was planning on it, but unfortuneatly I have tickets that weekend to see the POLICE with my son

Justin Scott

Quote from: viper55 on October 18, 2007, 03:44:21 PM
I was planning on it, but unfortuneatly I have tickets that weekend to see the POLICE with my son

The band or the real thing?

I thought your lawyers got you two out of that jam.
Viper - Mambo Kings