Holmenkol Sail 'Seal and Glide'

Started by Drew Harper, February 05, 2010, 03:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Jeff Jones on October 29, 2010, 10:50:31 AM
Here's a picture demonstrating proper Holmenkol technique

No... Wrong kind of bucket.  Use a Home Depot "Homer Pail"
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Robert Bernard

I actually ended up using a big plastic tote. It worked perfectly, and you can use more water than they suggest, it just takes longer to dry out.
Viper #76   Navi-Gator

Drew Harper

Quote from: Robert Bernard on October 29, 2010, 12:12:44 PM
I actually ended up using a big plastic tote. It worked perfectly, and you can use more water than they suggest, it just takes longer to dry out.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that if you dilute it more it won't last as long. Just a hunch.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Robert Bernard

doubtful. the water is just the transport agent for the mixed chemicals. It completely evaporates away and leaves the chemicals in the spinnaker.
Viper #76   Navi-Gator

Drew Harper

Robert Bernard

I would add though that the initial mixing of the chemicals should take place in the correct proportions, but once thoroughly mixed adding more water shouldn't affect the chemical reaction, just dilution. But if you soak the spinnaker until all of the additional water you added is "in" the spinnaker, then all of the active chemicals are as well. Then you must wait for the water to evaporate.

I used the smaller package, but I think the bigger package is the better deal as well. In the future that is what I plan on using.
Viper #76   Navi-Gator

Brian Janney

When we put this on out Melges 24 kites we lay it out flat. Then mix the stuff in a garden sprayer. This way we get an even coat, let it dry then flip and spray the other side. One note is make sure to rinse out the sprayer otherwise the head will get clogged. 

Drake Borer

just a note on the spray technique..the instructions (as I remember) STRONGLY recommend against this based on  a safety factor.  Inhaling the mixture can be very bad for you (don't want to coat your lungs (alveoli for the medically inclined) with the stuff).  I would recommend using a mask if you do, coated lungs don't work so well

Just lookin out for my fellow viperers ;)

Brian Janney

good point I did forget to say we wore masks!!! and don't take the mask off. Boy does that stuff smell bad

Drew Harper

Quote from: Brian Janney on December 01, 2010, 02:47:03 PM
good point I did forget to say we wore masks!!! and don't take the mask off. Boy does that stuff smell bad

Yeah, but the buzz lasts for daze =p

Michael Stovall

OUCH! Please don't let your sailmakers see that.

Ben Steinberg

Quote from: Michael Stovall on December 14, 2010, 10:52:07 AM

OUCH! Please don't let your sailmakers see that.

you sailmaker says "chaching chaching" when they see that.  Carry on. 

Chris Shaughnessy

So APS says Holmenkol not making sealnglide anymore.
Other suppliers just have it as backordered.
I grabbed a can from sailingproshop but they only had 2 more left as of Wednesday.

Anyone know whats up

or what else is out there to use ?

Craig Wilusz

Thank you Drew and Spinnaker Sailing.  I placed the order Monday over the phone and had the product in hand Thursday (in Florida too).  Great service.
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Robert Bernard

Any idea why they killed the product line? Is there a replacement on the horizon?
Viper #76   Navi-Gator