New Sails

Started by Drake Borer, January 13, 2010, 10:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Borer

This may seem like a trivial question, but what the hell....  As a new Viper owner,  received my new boat with a new set of sails- without numbers on them.   Are there any rules with regard to how the numbers need to placed on the sails?  Any tips on how to do it.   
Also, i have already hurt the spinnaker.  How do I go about getting a new set of sails (spinnaker in particular)?  Do I simply contact Hyde Sails?  I am new to sailing in the US and new boats, so I hope this is not a silly question.

Dan Tucker

Where to put the numbers? On the mainsail only, see the Racing Rules of Sailing (or is it the Equipment Rules?). A local sailmaker can help, or do it for you for a bottle of rum.

For new sails, contact Rondar directly, or a North American Rep, Paul Z, Harv or Drew. Remember, only 1 suit/year...
Race it like you stole it.

Ben Steinberg

Typically class rules designate where the numbers go but ours don't.  A pretty standardized way to go about numbers is to place the USA on the starboard side so that the top edge is butted up against the underside of the second to the top batten pocket.  this assumes the viper insignia is in the panel above, if not, go down a panel.  Start at the leech and measure in 100mm before the U, space the letters 40mm apart.  Flip the sail over and and draw a line parallel to the underside of the USA but 60MM below it.  This is the top of the USA for the port side.  Start in the same 1000mm from the leech, start with the A so it reads correctly, and continue with the same 40mm apart.  flip sail over, measure down 60 mm, draw a line, this is the top of the starboard numbers, same spacing as before.  Flip over measure down, measure in, stick em on.  Work from one side of the sticker to the other peeling and sticking at the same time.  U's are easy, A's tougher and 8's a total pain.  
 As for buying sails, you are alloted one 3 piece suit per year per class rules.  In your first year you can buy a second set but then you cant purchase again till year three.  You can buy a 12 month plus old set and not be penalized.  You can buy hydes through rondar or seek out your own sailmaker, theres a list on the links section of the home page.  There are lots of US sailmaker who have done great things and deserve your business.  

Brad Boston

Seamonkey

Generally the numbers go between the third and fourth battens down. Usually they start about 8-12" in from the leech and run parallel to the Batten Pockets.
Brad

119 Jackpot

Doyle Boston Sailmakers
(519) 344-5236

Drake Borer

Thank you guys for the info.   I put my numers on with the help of my 6 year old crew today.  Hopefully no class rules about crooked numbers!

With regards to the one set of sails per year - I am all for it - not really interested in spending a ton to race on equal footing.  However, in vain of the dog ate my homework, any old spinnakers around that I can practice trashing until I get it right?.  (see the part about a six year old :) )