'Ol Man of the Sea Regatta- Fort Worth Boat Club

Started by Joe Sircely, August 15, 2007, 10:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Sircely

Hello.  My name is Joe Sircely.  I just purchased Viper #22 from Ken Davis here in Ft. Worth.  I am happy to be a new owner and hope the learning curve is steep.  I will be full of questions when I know what to ask.  For now, I would like to re-extend the invitation intitally offered by Steve Flunker and Ken for you to come join us in mid October. 

The breeze is generally great that time of year and the FWBC is a superior facility.  The weather here should be outstanding.  I know that for every boat that comes my standing in the regatta will grow by one, but I would love meet all of you.  So if you can get away for a long weekend, c'mon down.

Danger
"dude- this thing is fast"

Kay VanValkenburgh

Welcome to the fleet, Joe!

Gotta say, the Ol Man of the Sea regatta sounds like a blast. Great to see that 5 Vipers plan to be there! Not possible for me this year, but very interested and looking for a way to make it happen next year.

For those looking for more info:
Article on Viper640.org - http://viper640.org/content/view/84/42/
FWBC regatta chairman's writeup on Viper640.org - http://viper640.org/content/view/85/48/
FWBC site - http://www.fwbc.com/Racing/regattas.html.

Kay
first boat I ever owned was viper #28; it was a gateway drug.
my current viper is #98; I can't sail it enough.
the resulting sailing addiction's ok up to that point, but come Winter whydahell do I also have to frostbite a Laser?!

Joe Sircely

3 Vipers already registered and it looks like we might get a few more!

Paul Zimmerman

Joe,

I work for a company based in Houston and try to spend one week each month there.  I am fleet captain for the Marblehead fleet and tech Chairman.  It is very possible that I will be in Houston either the week before or after and could arrange sailing in your regatta if you can find me a ride on a Viper.

Paul

Justin Scott

Paul,

Laurent out of the Desert Fleet was looking for crew for this regatta. He is trailing from Phoenix.

Get in touch with him. I know that both the Desert Fleet and the Texans would love to meet you.....and see how the NE Vipers mix it up.

Beware.....I am told that the bullriding will count in the final scores.

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Justin Scott

Just to give everyone a feel for what this is about I cant help posting this email thread that was circulating around the SW fleet earlier this year.
Enjoy:

Folks,

This is coming together the way I hoped it would and I dig it!!!  Let?s remember, this regatta is one of the annual targeted stops of the four stops on our SW circuit and that the B-Day regatta in PHX is only 2.5 months later.  Boy, more than 5 on each line , and that?s even before the ?bull riding? perks get thrown into the equation.  BTW, count me in for that bull!  I?ve never claimed to be a smart man?

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 7:39 PM
Subject: RE: Cowtown, here we come!- Viper class start at the Fort Worth Ol' Man of the Sea Regatta - Oct (20-21)

I don't think we could buy enough insurance for live bull riding.  I'd hate to be the underwriter of that policy.

I like Justin's borrowed oil bidness slogan.  We may need to adopt it as the unofficial motto of the developing Texas fleet.
Thanks,
Ken

"Mark W. Smith"  wrote:

All right - I have done the the bull at Billy Bob's!  Maybe this is the year we bring one in for the Ol' Man - gulp, Ken, how's the club insurance?  Mark

-----Original Message-----
To:
Subject: Re: Cowtown, here we come!- Viper class start at the Fort Worth Ol' Man of the Sea Regatta - Oct (20-21)

I like how I disappear into an office meeting for a couple hours, come back and find a full blown add for the Ol' Man on the Viper site.  Nice job guys and thanks.

Justin -- re the bull riding at a Fort Worth bar, you're thinking of Billy Bob's Texas http://www.billybobstexas.com/, only a short drive from the Boat Club.  If you've seen Urban Cowboy 100 times like I have, Billy Bob's makes Gilley's look like a yuppie fern bar.  Mark would kill me for suggesting anything other than the regatta parties, but a Viper fleet side trip to Billy Bob's would be hysterical.  If we can ride a Viper in 30+, we can ride that damn bull.  Just an idea.

Ken

Justin Scott  wrote:

Well we have been borrowing an expression from the oil bidness in the Viper fleet.

A texan friend of mine was referring to oil wells when he spoke, but it might as well have been a Viper 640:-

"If you aint got one, then git one!"

----- Original Message -----

> Justin - you'll notice all of our gas and oil wells as soon as you get  close to FW and you don't have to go to a bar to ride steers - we keep  plenty of them close to the club. Don't forget to bring your  hats,horses,boots, and boats -we'll have the jalapeno's and breeze ready  for ya!! Mark

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Justin Scott
> Subject: Cowtown, here we come!- Viper class start at the Fort Worth Ol' Man of the Sea Regatta - Oct (20-21)

> Wow......with hospitality like this, and this kind of response time. How can we possibly resist coming to Cowtown?
> I will have a mention on the front page of our website before the afternoon is out. www.viper640.org
>
> I don't see why the South West should have all the fun. I am copying some of the North East and South East Fleet movers and shakers on this email. Let me see the choice is:- 1.Put the boat away after Labor Day 2. Get cold and miserable doing a couple of fall regattas on Long Island Sound or.........3. Enjoy the bright sunshine and famous hospitality of the Grand State of Texas. Hmmm tough choice .
>
> Mark, Thank you for the history. I was of course pulling Ken's leg about  the Eagles. I am impressed to read that there are in fact two Ol' Men immortalized by this regatta.
>
> Best,
>
> Justin
>
> PS Is it true they ride steers in a bar in Fort Worth?

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jakimier, Eric"
> Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 12:05 PM
> Subject: Re: Viper class start at the Fort Worth Ol' Man of the Sea Regatta - Oct (20-21)
>
>> As Commodore, let me second Mark's excitement about having the Vipers at the Ol' Man as well as his invitation to Annual Regatta in June! We look forward to having you and please let us know if you need anything or have further questions.
>> --------------------------
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Mark W. Smith

>> Ken - I'll take that one. As the Chairman of the Ol' Man of the Sea the past two years and many times before I thought I'd attach what I wrote for our newletter for this year which will give you some idea of the history of the event.
>>
>> Regarding Mountains - well - the mountains where the eagles used to hang out got a lot shorter after they filled the lake and then used the rock off the mountain to build our dam. We do have elevated hilly topology which gives us some interesting geographical play depending on the wind conditions.
>>
>> While it's not Lake Dillon, our sailing area is quite a bit larger and better suited to sailboat racing than Dillon. The Ol' Man of the Sea was actually the top ranked one design keel boat regatta in the state of  Texas and it used to be a 2 weekend event. It is rich in tradition and if you read the attached note you'll learn where the name came from.
>>
>> I cannot express to you how excited we are to be a part of the formation of a Viper Circuit - which would be in keeping with the growth of other one design classes that launched from out of here! More great news, we got some excellent rains and the lake filled back up so even by October launching and docking will be no problem.
>>
>> We have some of the best facilities in the U.S. with full service crane,bosun, parts shop, and harbor staff. The party is here so really looking forward to seeing everyone in October for the Ol' Man. Boats closer to Ft. Worth may want to come check out our Annual Regatta the first weekend in June.
>>
>> You can learn more about FWBC at www.fwbc.com
>>
>> Please let us know how else we can be of assistance - we'd love to get every Viper in the world into Cowtown for the Ol' Man of the Sea!
>>
>> Sincerely your's,
>>
>> Mark W. Smith
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Justin Scott >> Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 10:10 AM
>> Subject: Re: Viper class start at the Fort Worth Ol' Man of the Sea Regatta - Oct (20-21)
>>
>> OK Ken. Lets get something on the website about this. I have one final question for Fort Worth Boat Club on Eagle Mountain
>> Lake. I understand that there are no mountains and no eagles. When I look at my atlas you are a long way from the sea.

Is there at least an Ol' Man?????
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Justin
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Ken Davis
>> Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 12:14 AM
>> Subject: RE: Viper class start at the Fort Worth Ol' Man of the Sea Regatta - Oct (20-21)
>>
>> Just to get it on everyone's calendar, we're targeting the Ol' Man of the Sea Regatta at the Fort Worth Boat Club on Oct. 20 - 21 to host a Viper one-design class. John Riddell in AZ and I traded a couple of notes and we're starting to spread the word through the southwest. Working from Justin's list of three things that make a good potential venue, the Ol' Man meets all three.
>>
>> Speaking from experience on the J/24 and J/22 Texas Circuits, circuit racing is something that works well in this part of the country (lots of lakes, a long sailing season, flat real estate). Given how easy the  Viper is to trailer, I think the Viper has great potential for an active Southwest Circuit.
>>
>> Ken Davis Fort Worth, TX

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Joe Sircely

Quote from: viper55 on September 27, 2007, 11:47:36 PM
Joe,

I work for a company based in Houston and try to spend one week each month there.  I am fleet captain for the Marblehead fleet and tech Chairman.  It is very possible that I will be in Houston either the week before or after and could arrange sailing in your regatta if you can find me a ride on a Viper.

Paul

Paul-

Actually my wife just ran into a conflict, so I am in need of a third.  If you haven't been claimed, I'd love to have you.  Be forewarned...my driving is going to suck!  The other guy is an outstanding sailor and he has experience on the Viper. If you are willing, let me know.

Joe