Justin Scott

All Vipers owners in the SE:

Jay Harrell wrote
We are trying to pull together a Viper fleet for the CSC "Outback
Regatta" next month.  See Alex's invitation above.  So far we have the
Bolans sailing #40, Bill Shaw sailing #17, and me sailing #19.  We
really need a couple of more to make a fleet and Lake Murray isn't
very far from Lake Norman - any takers?  I'm certain it will be worth
the trip.  If you can come, please reply to this group, me, or Alex.
For more information, here's the URL for the race
http://www.columbiasailingclub.org/lmyra/index.htm?../lmyra/outback/index.htm

Thanks,
Jay
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Justin Scott

Don Taylor wrote

Also the food is great.

It is catered by Outback. Outback Steakhouse sends this huge grill and big truck full of steaks, etc.  Big party and the food and camaraderie are first class.
They will have kegs after the race on Saturday-----Hamburgers on Sunday, etc.

I guarantee you will want to return next year. 

They probably will give the vipers their own class if you want. 

If Alex gets his dad Tony to buy me enough beer I might watch.

regards

don taylor
Viper - Mambo Kings

Jay Harrell

We have three boats committed for Lake Murray and we plan to have a great time showing off our Vipers to other slower boats there....  who else is in?

Jay Harrell

Bill (Viper 17) and Jay (Viper 19) currently have rooms reserved at the Amerisuites hotel.  I don't know anything about the place except what I've read on TripAdvisor, but others are encouraged to join us there.

Tim Dunton

Water Moccasin is tentatively in....
Anywhere to park the Vipermobile?

Tim

bill shaw

Tim, Good to hear from you. The sailing notice said camping was welcome on the club grounds. That should make it easy. Looking forward to seeing you guys.
Bill

Tim Dunton

Jay Harrell

Awesome!  I look forward to seeing you guys again...

Quote from: Vibroman on August 16, 2007, 06:49:03 PM

Tim

Justin Scott

Quote from: Vibroman on August 16, 2007, 06:49:03 PM

Tim

Vipermobile? Attack cats? Viperettes? .......how cheaply can I fly down?
Viper - Mambo Kings

Tim Dunton

Dunno but David can't make it so I am on the hunt for crew (or driver)

Tim Dunton

Unfortunately It now looks like I will not be able to make the trip this year. Work stuff has conspired against me

Tim

Justin Scott

Subject: FW: Reminder: Outback Cup Regatta Only 2 Weeks Away

Outback Cup Regatta is only two weeks away.

Come Join the Fun.

The Outback Cup Regatta will be held on Sept 22 and 23.  Time is running out to take advantage of pre-registration.  Come and join the fun.  If you pre-register before Sept 16 you will receive a free Outback Cup Regatta Hat and save $10 over the late registration fee.   So get moving and come enjoy our heavy hors d?oeuvres on Friday Sept 21 provided by Carrabba?s Italian Grill.  On Saturday evening eat a hugh steak cooked by the Outback Steakhouse and dance to the music of Old School.  Plan to visit the West Marine rigging truck.  They will help you with any items that you may need for your boat or crew.  This is the event of the year for sailors on Lake Murray so don?t miss it!  Even if you don?t sail come and join the fun.  The Steak Dinners are only $15 each so come and join the party but please get your tickets early.  Tickets go on sail Friday evening Sept 21and Saturday morning Sept 22.

You can register early by filling out a Notice of Race form from the LMYRA website columbiasailingclub.org/LMYRA or use the attached Notice of Race.  Make checks Payable to LMYRA and mail to  Stephen Rose at 251 Shoreline Dr., Columbia, SC 29212.

I would like to express my appreciation to our sponsors this year:  Outback Steakhouse, Carrabba?s Italian Grill, Water?s Sails, The Gourmet Garage, Exceed Landscape Solution, Inc., UBS Financial Services, Inc., West Marine, Edward Jones, Trapp Insurance Services, Inc., It?s All Good! #287, Budweiser and Sam?s Club.    With support like this how can you not have a good time.

See you on the Water

Stephen Rose

Regatta Chairman

Hootie Bushardt

Assistant Regatta Chairman

Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

Looks like the Barracudas won Class A spinnaker division in their Viper.

Congrats to Alex and Kala
Viper - Mambo Kings

Jay Harrell

http://picasaweb.google.com/viper640photos/2007OutbackRegatta

In a surprise twist of fate, summer returned to the south for what's likely to be our final weekend of "dang hot" temperatures and very light wind.  The bad part is that this occurred at the end of week of cool, dry, sunny and windy weather while we all suffered at work.  So instead of our hoped-for first taste of fall sailing, instead we got a last blast of summer.

No matter, we still managed to have fun!  With only three boats, the Vipers were lumped into the large "PHRF spinnaker" start.  We had 3 Vipers, 6 U-20s, a bunch of J-24s and S2s, some large cruisers, and even an Olson 30 starting with us.  In the light wind, these large boats cast a wind shadow about a mile long.  And we were well under hull speed, so this wasn't going to be a good day for handicap racing.  The first start ended in a general recall as much of the fleet crossed the line as much as 30 second early.  Wow!  On the restart, Alex got the jump on the fleet and never looked back.  Meanwhile Bill and I where able to prove beyond a doubt that it was Alex's skill in play and not just his fast boat by finishing somewhat further back in the pack.  Not to mention a DSQ for me for sailing through the "closed gate" not just once but twice.  (So did half the U-20s BTW, so I wasn't the only one to miss that line in the SI).

As if the first race wasn't light enough, the second was even more so and part way around the wind died completely.   Ratings no matter, the entire fleet converged on the leeward mark at the same time in a giant ghosting pinwheel.  Except for Alex that is - he was already nearing the finish line by then.

Sunday morning brought a 10am start, but the wind didn't arrive until later.  With finally enough wind for a start, we got yet another general recall.  The restart (with the I flag) was successful and we got in one more drifter before heading in for lunch and packing up, and watching Alex pick up his prize. 

And to those who didn't make it, you missed the best regatta food anywhere - fantastic meals both Friday and Saturday night.  And next year there will be a new $3 million club house overlooking the lake.  I would definitely recommend a return trip, particularly if we can get enough sportboats there to have our own start as a group instead of being forced to fight it out with the bludgers.  (So, where exactly does rule 18 turn on when one boat is 21 and the other is 30 feet long?)

Jay