Winter Viper Circuit

Started by Kay VanValkenburgh, July 31, 2007, 05:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kay VanValkenburgh

Let's get the planning started! I've already started putting aside my pennies. Raceweek was so much fun that others must be doing likewise, no?
first boat I ever owned was viper #28; it was a gateway drug.
my current viper is #98; I can't sail it enough.
the resulting sailing addiction's ok up to that point, but come Winter whydahell do I also have to frostbite a Laser?!

Paul Gillard

Hey Guys/Girls,
                   Was great reading your posts on the NA's and seeing the photos-must have been a lot of fun.  Regattas like that have got to be good for building interest in the class-keep up the momentum and who knows what the numbers will get to.
   Tempting to fly up from down under if someone had a spare spot for the next one! 

Dan Tucker

Kay,

Where? St. Pete NOOD? Charleston Race Week? TX? Lake Norman? Other Suggestions?

After October, and the US Paralympic Trials, my sailing schedule frees up again!

Dan
Race it like you stole it.

Kay VanValkenburgh

all great suggestions, Dan - and yes, we should have representation from down under! plan on it!

maybe we want to brainstorm a full list, then take a poll? Any additions to Dan's?
the resulting sailing addiction's ok up to that point, but come Winter whydahell do I also have to frostbite a Laser?!

Jay Harrell

St. Pete NOOD was great last year - highly recommended, ready to go again. 

Charleston does not appeal to me for Vipers - brown water, lots of current, expensive hotels, difficult launch/slip logistics.

Lake Norman has a Keelboat One Design regatta in March - very nice club if we can get a local to invite us.  I've done Y Flyer mid winters there and it was pretty cold, but they run a very good race.  There are two Vipers in the area.

I've done Sarasota Sailing Squadron One design midwinters (March) in other boats and it's a great venue - warm and sunny, and tailored to smaller boats than St Pete.

The Southeast Lakes Fleet is also planning to hold a couple of Viper regattas to book-end a winter circuit - one at OSYC (http://viper640.org/content/view/90/1/), and a second TBD, perhaps Columbia SC.  We are also able to store boats at OSYC over the winter and would be willing to host as many winter weekend as folks wanted to fly in for.  At OSYC we are completely flexible on schedule.

Kay VanValkenburgh

There's been some discussion on email with the subject line:
HEINEKEN continues to support HPDO - American YC - Oct 6 & 7, 2007 (505 New England Champs).

Sounds like a great way to start the creep southward for the New England boats, no?
Can we string a few more together maybe in Annapolis, N. Carolina and so on?

We had a great time at the HPDO last year, and both the AYC and the 505s have always been very welcoming!

PS - HPDO stands for "High Performance Dinghy Open" - and it draws mostly people who find the Viper to be very tame (i.e. they'd get one to sail with the non-sailing people in their lives - you know they're all sailing junkies and have a boat for every purpose...).

Justin Scott

Also dont forget the SW circuit posted on front page of web site.
The Ol Man of the Sea Regatta sounds bloody good fun. Somewhere there is an email trail that may have got posted on the forum. They promise to provide bull riding (Mechanical) for us.

I think it is important to focus on at least one or two regattas early and then build out from there. ST PETE is such a good location. Shall we make that the "axis" of the winter circuit. At the last minute last year, 5 boats got together for ST Pete. This year with more notice and planning I reckon we could easily get to 10.

Thoughts about electing it the Viper midwinters??????

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Dawn Kozak

Count us in for HPDO in October.  Tentative yes for St. Pete, as I have to figure out the ski schedule first.  Anything else will be gravy for us as we have to work with restricted vacation schedules.  But... we'll do what we can.

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Justin on August 01, 2007, 02:42:17 PM
ST PETE is such a good location. Shall we make that the "axis" of the winter circuit.  .... electing it the Viper midwinters??????

I'll vote for that plan...

HPDO may be wishful thinking for me; I'll have to wait and see.  How cold is it in NYC that time of year anyway?  (and remember, Sally and I thought it was cold in St Pete last year...)

Justin Scott

The Viperettes from the panhandle thought it was cold at St Pete last year but
Their definition of foul weather gear was a T shirt on top of the bikini
They thought "Thermals" meant a type of wind caused by heat on the land
but they still had a great time cos you could always head in to the Tiki bar. "if we cant git sunshine then we goin to git us some moonshine" 

And lets not forget the Dunstons and the Viper-mobile.
Yup.......I think St Pete has to be on the calendar.

Dawn and Chris you'll love it. Leave NJ in the snow, driving through the night, as the sun rises you see your first palm tree.....the spirits lift. Unpacking the boat in the brilliant sunshine and a fellow Viperer brings you a drink with an umbrella in it. Its sailing but it is definitely a vacation.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Justin on August 02, 2007, 08:20:51 AM
Dawn and Chris you'll love it. Leave NJ in the snow, driving through the night, as the sun rises you see your first palm tree.....the spirits lift. Unpacking the boat in the brilliant sunshine and a fellow Viperer brings you a drink with an umbrella in it. Its sailing but it is definitely a vacation.

Don't forget a stop by "The Georgia Pig" off I-95 for BBQ on the way down.

Kay VanValkenburgh

Hilarious, Jay - Lisa's favorite spot! But last time we drove down (towing a boat to Key West RW) we didn't find it - musta been the wrong exit? still there? a right of passage for every (non-veggie) viperer! (and the vegetarians should definitely not stay outside - you won't find anything to eat, but you can still experience the atmosphere)

Chris Shaughnessy

Keeping an eye on the HPDO thread on S.A.
Lots of interesting boats 'thinking about it' - swift solos, I14's, maybe a portsmouth yardstick for those who cannot turn out enough boats their own start. And the AYC K6 fleet is now up to 16 boats (I guess that explains why we have to wait so long for product from Rondar!).

BTW anyone know what PY# is for the Viper ?

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58181     

Justin Scott

Viper - Mambo Kings

Jay Harrell

I ate there Wednesday two weeks ago on the way back from a meeting on Jekyll Island and it was the same as always.  Here' the location on Google Maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&q=georgia+pig&near=brunswick,+ga&ie=UTF8&ll=31.157877,-81.548595&spn=0.086523,0.123253&z=13&iwloc=A&om=1

(Search for "Georgia Pig" near Brunswick, Ga)

Quote from: kay on August 03, 2007, 08:05:42 AM
Hilarious, Jay - Lisa's favorite spot! But last time we drove down (towing a boat to Key West RW) we didn't find it - musta been the wrong exit? still there? a right of passage for every (non-veggie) viperer! (and the vegetarians should definitely not stay outside - you won't find anything to eat, but you can still experience the atmosphere)