Viper SE Inland Championship

Started by atgracely, September 17, 2009, 03:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Porter

Just back from the SE Inlands.  Gary Umberger and his Lake Lanier Sailing Club put on a great show.  For lake sailing, we were delighted to be hiking all weekend.  Planing around the course there were plenty of grins.

Racing was very close.  Brad Boston and his "jackpot" team were extremely consistent and did a great job of thwarting our many attacks - Hats off to them.

David G and Gary U also had a great close battle today as did many others. 

All in all a great viper weekend and regatta - we'll be back!

JP
USA 26

Gary Umberger

Senor Gringo,

Jay is aware that everyone wants to see the photos. It takes a little time and I'm sure he will get to it soon.
Thanks
Gary

Gary Umberger

Hello Viper Fleet,

LLSC and the local Viper fleet really enjoyed having everyone attend the regatta this past weekend. There was always close competition and the information shared by those that discussed their strategy in the chaulk talk on Friday and Saturday will make us all better sailors.

That being said the racing conditions could not be better for lake sailing. Mother nature provided us with 13-16 knots of wind on Saturday and approx. 14-20 knots on Sunday and a full lake. This allowed the fleet to get 5 races in, on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. The RC did an excellent job making sure Bra all the fleets (Vipers, M24s and sailboards) could get the starts rolling without a lot of wait time. They also did a great job with mark placement with wind shifts occuring about every 15 minutes.

I think everyone knows that JackPot was doing the best job adjusting to the shifts and had some of the best boat handling around the race course. Second, it was also clear to me that John Porter had made some great decisions and is really very competitive. It was fun watching Brad and John josting for position in the starting sequence. Hell it gave David and I a chance to sneek in when they were not looking and take line honors on 2 races.

The racing didnt stop there . It appeared that all boats were in some type of sailing duel and the point spreads were very close so overall positions could change every race.

I certainly had a lot of fun and hope everyone returns next year.

Thanks #91

Jay Harrell

Yes, photos.  http://picasaweb.google.com/jharrell26/2009_10_16LLSCViperSEIC

Quote from: Gary_91 on October 19, 2009, 01:34:12 PM
Senor Gringo,

Jay is aware that everyone wants to see the photos. It takes a little time and I'm sure he will get to it soon.
Thanks
Gary

Gringo

Thanks muchly. Great pics!

Interesting to see the variety of boat setups (a variety of main sheet combos, hiking straps, etc..), main and gib trim (car positions, luff tension, sheeting... some are sailing with very deep sails others are very flat and both boats were fast all weekend), techniques at the windward mark (e.g. pre-feeding tack line vs not prefeeding, etc...).... useful learning tools....  and we actually look OK in some of them :-)

Later.