asymetrical trimming Vs symetrical

Started by ejfreeman3, August 22, 2009, 04:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejfreeman3

We are somewhat competitive to the first mark and lose a ton with the spinnaker.   It looks like we are on the same course as the competition, but they must be doing something we aren't.  Our previous boats were a Soverel 33 and a Beneteau First 38.  This sport boat thing is totally new to us.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Alec Rapaport

would be helpful to know if you are talking about in a V640 fleet or a PHRF fleet, and what kind of conditions (planing or displacement)...

ejfreeman3

Alec Rapaport

what we've learned so far in sub 8 knot conditions: keep the weight as far forward as possible

In really light air, gybe as little as possible as it just is so slow and gives up so many positions

I've also taken to driving and trimming to get a better feel for the pressure.  The crew doesn't like this, but it allows me to sit to windward and see everything better (including the kite) and react to pressure.

I'm sure some of the elders have better tips, but that's what we've found so far.

Matt Sole

If the bopat s not planing get very cosy with your crew up forward!
You need to get the boat's big but out of the water to reduce wetted surface area.
If you have good communicaton with your crew they should be able to trim the kite and talk to you about the FEEEL.
Also remember it is a sportsboat so heat it up in the lulls to keep her bubbling along and soak with any sort of puff.
I am new to the Viper but I have had quite a few light air experiances. i.e. I have had to padlle home a couple of times now!
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78