Any secondhand Vipers for sale in UK

Started by corms, June 04, 2009, 03:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corms

Looking at selling my Platu 25 and looking around and like the look of the Viper.

Are there any for sale in uk?

How do they perform in a mixed PY handicap fleet?

Myles Mence

Paul Young (Rondar) knows of one needing a lot of work in Wales and so you could give him a ring.

We sail out of Cowes in hull no. 79 and as far as we know are the only Viper racing in the country (at present!).

All our racing is under handicap on the Solent. We have a Sportsboat rating @.883 and IRC rating @ 1.002 . Both seem about right particularly if there is a planing breeze and we rang the bell several times last season. The boat is a dream, don't hesitate, buy one.

corms

We are struggling for crew for the Platu 25 and are looking for a 3 person boat, we are all dinghy sailors so don't mind getting a bit wet.

How does it compare to a SB3?

Cheers

Neil

Myles Mence

The SB3 is a very different boat.

Twice the weight (685kg) it makes a much larger hole in the water and planes later. There are plenty on the Solent and we never have a problem getting past them.

If you are dinghy sailors go for the Viper which performs like a well behaved 21' Merlin Rocket without the swimming. The rig works well and will be familiar to you also a shute that works smoothly for the kite which is not far off masthead.

Strangely enough you don't get so very wet in a Viper as spray tends to go underneath, we sail in oilies which are very comfortable on the wide decks.

corms

Could you leave it on a fairly sheltered mooring.

Cheers

Neil

Myles Mence

Yes it will sit on a well sheltered mooring fine. You would need to leave the rudder in and the keel down. We leave ours out off Yarmouth on a swinging mooring overnight from time to time and no problem.

corms

Definetly looking for a new boat and the Viper sound ideal but doesn't seem to be any available in UK, which is a pity as I think it would be great fun.

Can't afford a new one as the budget only goes to ?10,000 but I will keep looking.

It may have to be an RS Elite or SB3.

Corms

Alex Edwards

that boat in wales is at my club. It has recently been dragged out of the undergrowth and put back onto the trailer. I think it still needs some work but it might get on the water soon.

Dont submit to the sp3

Drew Harper

Quote from: corms on June 27, 2009, 04:55:44 PM
Definetly looking for a new boat and the Viper sound ideal but doesn't seem to be any available in UK, which is a pity as I think it would be great fun.

Can't afford a new one as the budget only goes to ?10,000 but I will keep looking.

It may have to be an RS Elite or SB3.

Corms

Corms, ?10,000 = $16,500 dollars here. You can buy and AWESOME boat for 17K (hull#42) and ship it back. Not sure on Return Ro-Ro, but I think it runs 50% of the cost to get them here. Check with Ship companies specializing in Jaguar delivery to the USA.

There's several tin-rig boats here running 10-12,000 USD. You can easily buy a SuperSpar Viper rig there and you're up and running.

You REALLY need to contact Paul at Rondar about this.

I hate to see you sailing a leadmine (SB3) if you're the slightest bit of a dinghy guy. You'll get frustrated.

Anything I can do to help, let me know.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Lee Shuckerow

I agree the SB3 was nothing but disappointment for me. It looked like fun but didnt compare one bit with the Viper. I also sailed the Melges20 (probably out of everyone's price range) and the Viper was still better in every aspect of sailing.
I'm surprised you can get an SB3 over there that cheap. The Viper is made right in the UK so it has to be way cheaper for you than it is for us in America. It runs 33,000 USD which is 19,900 british pounds. (i'm not a currency genius here so let me know if i'm wrong) and that is paying for the shipping overseas.
Jackpot  #235

Matt Sole

Ah but he has to pay VAT at 15% which stings! The average US tax is about 6% right??
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

corms

New one in the UK comes in about ?19,000 including VAT with all the accessories.

I don't think the wife would let me spend this amount, especially when she wants a new kitchen.

The more I read about the Viper, the more it seems the perfect boat, I have thought about importing but had a bad experience when I took in a Megabyte from the US. I don't know enough about it.

I will keep hunting.

Corms

Matt Sole

Dont be put off importing a Viper to the UK. Everyone over here will help you as much as possible. I had a friend in the UK look in to getting one. Definatley get one with a tin rig to reduce the initial outlay and you will get plenty of change out of 10 grand. Lots of people here would love to see the viper sailing in the UK.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

corms

I e-mailed Paul Young from Rondar and he is going to look into the boat in Wales to see if it available and what cost to take it back to a good spec.

Duncan Adams

Hi there, I think i may have just bought "that" boat in Wales.
Hope you have some luck getting another one, would be good to get the class going in the UK. It ticked a lot of the boxes for my perfect boat, the boat does need a lot of work so hopefully I can pick the brains of some of you guys.