Please Help - Line Lengths - What are you using?

Started by Drew Harper, May 06, 2009, 12:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Stovall

How do you splice the pigtail into the sheet?

Ben Jacobsen

Quote from: Dan Tucker on May 08, 2009, 11:00:39 AMI sail with a min length spin sheet pigtail

isn't that no pigtail at all?

also, what about on the north kits (with the webbing on the clew)?  Do you guys skip it there or still use something?  And would that webbing count into the max length?

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Michael Stovall on April 02, 2011, 04:41:09 PM
How do you splice the pigtail into the sheet?
Can't find the diagram on my computer, but I drew it up in MS Paint and posted it here in another rigging thread. I'll look around some more.

Found it: http://forum.viper640.org/index.php?topic=272.msg8235#msg8235
Race it like you stole it.

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Ben Jacobsen on August 05, 2011, 09:25:07 AM
Quote from: Dan Tucker on May 08, 2009, 11:00:39 AMI sail with a min length spin sheet pigtail

isn't that no pigtail at all?

also, what about on the north kits (with the webbing on the clew)?  Do you guys skip it there or still use something?  And would that webbing count into the max length?

Wiseass!

Class Rules do not require a pigtail, but do limit the max length:
6.1   (a) The spinnaker sheets shall be line with a minimum diameter of 7 mm (approx 5/16?) diameter. A pennant (of any diameter) that shall not exceed 45 cm may be attached to the spinnaker sheets for the purpose of attaching the spinnaker sheets to the clew of the spinnaker.

My opinion is that a shortest possible pigtail limits the amount the clew floats forward, and keeps the kite more controlled, therefore reduces the amount of trimming necessary on gybes. Many use no pigtails at all. My "through and through" pigtail means that the spin sheet goes over the headstay seamlessly, that's the primary benefit. Learned it from 2x 49er Olympian Chris Rast.

Dunno if the North webbing would count as part of the pigtail length, sounds like a Tech Committee question.

Ben Jacobsen

Quote from: Dan Tucker on August 05, 2011, 12:12:56 PM
Wiseass!

I was somewhat serious, but yeah... ;)

is there a picture of your through and threw stitched job anywhere?  I remember another thread where we were talking about it, I think I get it but I'm still not sure.  To go that route you have to run non continuous sheets right? 

Dan Tucker

I'll try to take a photo when I go sailing tomorrow. There's a link to my lousy diagram just a couple of posts above.  /\

Lee Shuckerow

So im trying to buy some new spin sheets and the class rules are messing with me.
They say: (a) The spinnaker sheets shall be line with a minimum diameter of 7 mm (approx 5/16?) diameter (b)  The jib sheets shall be a minimum diameter of 8 mm (approx 5/16?)
If both 7mm and 8mm are approximately 5/16" then i need to buy some 7mm line, which I will have to special order in the line i want. the discrepancy of these rules seems somewhat silly so what is everybody else using?
Jackpot  #235

Drew Harper

8mm is 5/16"

7mm is .27 which is 9/32"

If you're trimmer has strong hands and it's not too windy, I'd just go with some 1/4"

We use 5/16 as it's breezy here
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Ben Steinberg

The rule is supposed to read 5/16 (8 mm) in both instances. 1/4 inch will get you a slap on the wrist from Nickerson.

Drew Harper

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Matt Rowlinson

What length are people using for spinn sheets?  We use non-continuous sheets, one piece of line with a pennant in the middle.  Current set (60 feet) seem too short.  Thanks for any thoughts.

Matt CAN 70