Please Help - Line Lengths - What are you using?

Started by Drew Harper, May 06, 2009, 12:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Harper

It'd be nice to have a standardized (somewhat) guide of various line lengths.

To that end, can you answer the following lengths. It'd be good to see where there's some commonality.

- Spin Halyard/Douser?

- Jib Sheet?

- SpinnSheet? (continuous or split?  Pigtail Length?)

- Mainsheet? (split tail, bridle or mid-boom?)

Along with this what type/size of line have you found to work well for spin halyard/douser? Which one develops less a-holes?

Thanks for your help on this.

I'm trying to build as much info for West Coast Vipes as possible.

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Dave Nickerson

We updated an old boat in the process of getting to Charleston.  All new lines, everything seemed to work and run fine in breeze and when it was light.  Really like the aft split-tail bridle set up on the mainsheet.  We have:

Spin halyd         84' 3/16's Marlow pre-stretch
Jib sheet           33' 5/16's New England Ropes EnduraBraid - continious set up
Spin sheet         72' 5/16's NER Flight Line (big fan of this stuff - very light, all polypro & spectra)
                          One piece w small center splice with pig tail, separate sheets, not continious
Mainsheet          Main part is 35', 5/16's Marlow Excel Fusion (new to me, liked it) - split tail aft bridle
                          Split tails are 5.5' each side, 1/8" samson 12 strand sprecta (finished length)

Hope this helps

Have a very nice 3/8's split tail mainsheet that I made up just before the rule changed to 5/16s.  Used for 2 short sails.  NER Flight Line for the main part, 1/8" 12 strand spectra tails - offers gladly accepted...  I have about $70 into it for just the lines.

Viper #208 - Noank, CT

winston

whats your spin sheet pennant lenght?  pigtail i mean.  I saw a bunch of diffrent stuff at CRW.  I was always under the impression that longer was better?  not sure where that came from tough.

winston

sorry.  ruff week of school.  Not sure where that idea came from though.

Jonathan Nye

Quote from: winston on May 07, 2009, 09:11:39 PM
sorry.  ruff week of school.  Not sure where that idea came from though.
6.1   (a) The spinnaker sheets shall be line with a minimum diameter of 7 mm (approx 5/16?) diameter. A pennant (of any diameter) that shall not exceed 45 cm may be attached to the spinnaker sheets for the purpose of attaching the spinnaker sheets to the clew of the spinnaker.

winston

Doesnt answer my question.  i know the rules.

Jonathan Nye

Quote from: winston on May 08, 2009, 12:27:04 AM
Doesnt answer my question.  i know the rules.
Then you know 17.75" is the max. Is your question whether it should be 17.75",  14" , 0" or some other value? Pretty small differences regardless. As a rule of thumb, if a class rule specifies a minimum or maximum for something, that min or max is were you want to be. So with a 45cm max, what's to think about? Max length. Less weight hanging off the chute. Only possible drawback is that an aggressive trimmer can suck the tail and the part of the lazy sheet into the turning block creating a jam. A shorter pigtail would make this more difficult. Solution is to practice not over trimming at the set and out of the gybe.

winston

you tell me.  read the post.  do you sail at max length?  that would be a helpfull.

Dan Tucker

I sail with a min length spin sheet pigtail, on the advice of Olympic 49er sailors. It keeps the clew most under control in gybes, allowing for faster gybes.

That's one theory, works for me. YMMV.
Race it like you stole it.

winston

thats what i've been hearing. thank's.
was reading the post from "Events"  NA's has a viper crew list going. 

Jay Harrell

Quote from: winston on May 08, 2009, 09:58:06 PM
thats what i've been hearing. thank's.
was reading the post from "Events"  NA's has a viper crew list going. 

I sail with a minimal pigtail, and most boats I see are rigged that way too.

Ben Steinberg

what size line are you using for the pigtail?  1/8 spectra?

John Porter

1/8" Spectra.  Just enough length to tie a bowline on the clew.

JP
Cool Beans - USA 26

Dave Nickerson

We use the same. 1/8 12-strand spectra for the pig tail.  Pretty short on the advice of Justin so the spin doesn't go too far forward on the jibes.  After the knot is tied ours is maybe 2 or 3 inches long.  Seems to work well.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Justin Scott

When I use a pig tail, I keep it short as possible. I often dont use one.....but I like it when I am doing a series because it makes it easy to take the spin out and take home without re running all the spin sheets.

The reason I like it short is because I like to snap thorugh the middle of the jibe, every inch of pigtail, is an inch more forward that you have to float the clew of the spinnaker before you can pull it to the new side.

I dont think it makes a huge difference tho
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee