New Brian Bennett Tuning Guide

Started by Felipe Payet, April 06, 2009, 08:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felipe Payet

A new tuning guide by Viper Designer Brian Bennett has been published to the class web site:

http://www.viper640.org/the-viper-640/rigging-a-tuning/197-tuningguide

Thanks, Brian for this fantastic resource!

Fletcher

Viper 207 Back in Business

John Porter

On the tuning guide, spreader sweep is measured between and string pulled tight between the shrouds and then measuring from the string to the back of the track.

The Tuning Guide qoutes around 12.25" for this distance, however I'm at 9.5".   Just curious where everyone else is at the moment.

I set my spreaders back to the "max aft" angle.

Thanks in advance for the reply.

JP

Mark Hinrichs

I really get a kick out of how Brian indicates what may happen if you let off too much main leech tension in a blow:

the rig may experience "undesirable structural conditions"...   

funny stuff there...

Mark #64

Leonardw

I measured my rig this last weekend and my measurement from swage to swage outside is 49 1/2" with the tips all the way in with no holes showing.  If I move the tips out with 2 holes showing, this will be even greater.  Tuning guide says that this should be only 48.3"

The measurement from the mainsail track to the spreaders is only 10 7/8".

Not sure as to whether I need to extend my spreaders to the 2 holes showing or not.  This would probably get my distance to the mainsail track more in line.

Jeff Jones

Lenoard,

My rig measured out the same as did #103.

I'm using the tuning guide as a loose reference as to what you want the rig to look like in various conditions.   

I believe the base setting is 4.5" of pre-bend.  Because we have a bit less sweep in our spreaders we need to us a bit more tension to achieve that.  Turns on and off will also need to be multiplied.   

Drew Harper

We really need to add all the line lengths to the tuning guide !!
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Roger Deatrick

I checked my spreaders this weekend on 600 while I had the mast down.  It was about the same as ultraracer.  Yet, when I put the tension on, I had a bit more than 12" from the mast to a line that would connect the spreader tips.  I measured by taping a ruler to the end of a long stick and held that up to the level of the spreaders.  Then I eyeballed the dimensions.  The pre-bend was 4.5".  it would appear the dimensions for the rig in tension differ from when the rig is not tight.  Next I gotta cut myself a stick 50" long to check the spreader width when the rig is tightened up.

Whatcha think of that?