Author Topic: What kind of costs are typical for vipering in MA?  (Read 2379 times)

mhoydis

What kind of costs are typical for vipering in MA?
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:57:37 AM »
Hi Marblehead guys.  I was hoping I could benefit from your MA vipering experiences, regarding dollars.  I'm trying to sort out what kind of budget I might be in for...

- Marblehead Boating Center (Parker's):  Are there spots readily available?  Or is there some kind of waiting list?  Is it required that I be a resident of Marblehead?  Is winter storage available?

- I understand US Sailing offers an insurance policy for Vipers.  What's a typical quote?  (They don't advertise the price on the website...)

- Does Massachusetts require vehicle registration for a Viper?

- Are there any special taxes in Massachusetts on boat owners?  (Does it qualify for "Property tax"?  Is there a "Luxury tax"?)

Any other cost caveats I haven't thought of?

Thanks.  Maybe I'll see you guys around with a tiller in my hand this season :)
-Michael

Dan Tucker

• Administrator
  • Extremely Active
    • Maureen's Paralympic News
Re: What kind of costs are typical for vipering in MA?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 01:56:38 AM »
Michael,

First of all, welcome!

Parker's was $625 for the 2008 season, unless you want to be in the lower year, then it's an additional $100. There's space. No, we don't discriminate against people from away! Winter storage is available there, or at the Marblehead Laundry. Don't have numbers on that.

Insurance is ~$300 or add a rider if you have homeowners and just want liability. Don't know a lot about that detail.

You don't need registration numbers, as long as you don't have an outboard. If you don't register, the state won't know that you own the boat, so they won't know to charge you sales tax or excise tax, but you didn't hear that from me!  ;)  You're supposed to pony up for Sales and Excise taxes, but...

Other stuff is either major planned purchases (new sails) or minor (lost the damned plug AGAIN!). Then there's the MRA registration fee $200 and any optional regatta expenses for travel regattas like Newport, Long Island Sound, or whatever you may decide. Oh yeah, trailer registration and excise, <$100.

Figure around $1500/year with winter storage (if you can't find a backyard to stash it in), no travel, no major upgrades.

PM me if you want help finding a boat.

Dan
Race it like you stole it.

mhoydis

Re: What kind of costs are typical for vipering in MA?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:52:09 AM »
Thanks Dan.