Aluminum Rig Tune Numbers

Started by David Morse, March 02, 2009, 06:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Morse

Until I can crack the carbon nut, does anyone out there still have notes and tune numbers for the metal rig.  The more information I can get the better.

Kevin Blank

I could use the rig tune numbers for a tin rig as well.

Tim Carter

Spit, I sailed a tin rig all last year.  As far as headstay length, the one on the boat was fixed/non-adj, so it was never measured....

mast step, heel tenon in the second hole foward from the back...

cap tension in light ~ 34 on a PT-1
breez on ~ 38+...

I would setup the lowers with about 3/4-1" sag to leward @ the spreaders...

Chocks, about 3/4" in front in 8-12, 1/4" in 15+... I wanted to chock the rig further back for headstay tension (Etchells thing) but the Doyle dacron main would get too full..

Hope this helps....  Don't pinch, get the boat moving before trying to get height...

Timbo
Lt Coast Gov

Phillip Davis

I can assure you Timbo is spot-on with his tin-rig numbers.  We plan to carry his advise into CRW 2010.

"Big" Tex

Tim Carter

Quote from: BigTex on March 01, 2010, 09:57:44 PM
I can assure you Timbo is spot-on with his tin-rig numbers.  We plan to carry his advise into CRW 2010.

"Big" Tex
Hey, Tex.....

Just what is that headstay length????

Commin to Dago?
Lt Coast Gov

Kevin Blank

Drew Harper

Quote from: BigTex on March 01, 2010, 09:57:44 PM

"Big" Tex

Tex, You can't race CRW with a tin rig. Only place in the country allowing tin is the West coast. I may be wrong on this but I think the boat has to be full OD including mast and keel.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Jeff Jones

I'm pretty sure you can still race CRW with the tin rig.   99.9%

Dave Dougall

4.1  Construction- The material, method of construction and design of the spars, and the attachment of spreaders, standing rigging and halyard sheaves shall be in accordance with any class approved Spar Plan. Masts, spreaders and booms shall be fabricated only by spar manufacturers approved by the Class Association. The mast shall either be an aluminum mast manufactured by Proctor or a Carbon mast manufactured by Superspar.

Tin Rigs are allowed in Viper Class santioned events according to the class rules on the web site.....Both in the west, east and even in Texas areas.....As far as I know.  I am sure the "tech committee" will respond on this.

Glenn Vanheel

just keelmods (downgrades) are the only requirment to be class legal for the older boats for class sanction regattas as i was told.
F'ing Walker!

Dan Tucker

Correct. Tin rig is legal anywhere, small bulb is not class legal anywhere, though local fleets may let small bulbs play in local stuff. Not for NA's or other class sanctioned regattas though. Small bulb is a notable performance advantage...
Race it like you stole it.

Drew Harper

Thanks for clearing this question up. I appreciate the insight.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Phillip Davis

No kidding.  Since we just spend two weeks enlarging the keel on #33 in preparation of CRW 2010 and booked flights and rooms, its good to know we will be allowed to bring our 20th century model Viper (1997) to compete with our 21st century breather....;)