2009 CORK SportFest, Aug. 28 - 30

Started by Harvey Barnes, March 02, 2009, 02:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Barnes

Come join us at the 2009 CORK SportFest, Aug. 28 - 30.

Vipers will compete in the Offshore and One Design Keelboat and Dinghy Classes event. This includes the traditional Offshore (PHRF) event, one design Keelboats, Able Sail and international dinghy classes.

This event will feature enhanced social package. -- The Blues Festival is on in Kingston at the same time and will provide excellent opportunities to enjoy the Kingston night life.

Please note that registration is now open. 

You can register your intent to attend at http://www.cork.org/events/cork_offshore.html.  (You can pay when you are ready.)  Early sign-up will help attract boats.

Harvey Barnes

Some more info (my earlier SA post):

It's always a blast -- on the water and off.

I think I've only experienced one calm day where boats didn't go out. Usually a calm day means waiting a bit 'till the sea breeze kicks in (and your hang-over abates), then its a wonderful 10-12. Weather systems that reinforce the sea breeze make for exciting rides! It's fresh water, so no rising afterward. The hosing on the lake is all you need.

Amazing dock parties. You have to be good sailing hung-over. I'm sure we've all had enough practice at other regattas.

It's funny money (CDN $) so, extra good value for our US friends. Oh, and don't forget... Canadian beer!

It is very family friendly too.

Here's what CORK.org says about the venue:

The waters off Kingston offer some of the best fresh-water sailing in the world. Located at the eastern end of Lake Ontario and the head of the St. Lawrence River, the combination of land mass, islands and thermal effects produce excellent wind and wave conditions with very little current. Winds during July are predominantly from a south-westerly direction, with an afternoon wind range of 10-15 knots. Water temperature will vary between 18 to 22 degrees (Celsius) with normal air temperature being 25 to 35 degrees. Daylight hours will be approximately 16 hours per day.

Kingston?s thermal wind arises most afternoons and usually reaches 10-12 knots.

Kingston airport is close to the water, approximately 1 nautical mile (2 kilometres) from the sailing site, and keeps weather records.

The three-race courses will be a short 10 to 15-minute sail from the sailing venue, Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, allowing necessary support services to be made available in close proximity of the course location. While course lengths can be adjusted to meet the daily requirements, a wide-open expanse allows all three courses to be run within sight of each other.

The shore facilities include event offices, boat storage, storage area for clothing/personal gear, internet caf?, change room facilities, cafeteria, boat and gear repair services and chandlery.

Post office, drug store, convenience store and restaurants are within a short walk from the harbour.

Kay VanValkenburgh

This regatta has been on my 'do before I die' list since I first heard of it. It's nothing short of mythical. Saving up my pennies! (on the topic of which: it's awfully nice of the race organizers to make it so affordable!)
first boat I ever owned was viper #28; it was a gateway drug.
my current viper is #98; I can't sail it enough.
the resulting sailing addiction's ok up to that point, but come Winter whydahell do I also have to frostbite a Laser?!

Matt Rowlinson

Bump--this should be a blast.  Currently 9 Vipers registered.  There is good local info at this site.

http://k7waterfront.org/Topic/RegattaCompetitor%27sHomePage

Contact me or HydroSpear for any questions & looking forward to seeing lots of friends in Kingston.

Matt. Rowlinson CAN 70