2018 Proposed Rule Changes

Started by Dave Nickerson, January 10, 2018, 02:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Boston

Hi everyone! Wow what fun this is..
I do not care how people vote on this topic as everyone has their own opinion.
Some are clearly more vocal then others, Some like playing with boats and some like replacing sheets and halyards just because the cover broke..

This boat is fantastic and a joy to sail. That is why Lee and I have been in the class since 2008. I do like the simplicity but I also like tinkering in a lower scale.

Anyway enjoy and see you at the next event!

Brad

Craig Wilusz

Justin, it was very cold in Florida, but we prevailed..........
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Drew Harper

I agree with Peter B....I'm a rigger and it's easy to whip them up but there really is no need and it drives up costs across the board. Rondar will HAVE to add this to the new boat otherwise people will complain that the boat isn't 'race ready' etc. I'm on board with the sail fabric changes though as there is some cost/benefit there.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Peter Beardsley

I jinxed myself by posting in this thread...we got TLEd in a drifter in Sarasota two weekends ago, but I don't think tapered sheets would have saved us.  Woof. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

John Leyland

Quote from: Craig Wilusz on January 27, 2018, 09:46:17 AM

Wow! What were the drifts like?
Viper 191 - "Moistened Bint"
Vancouver, BC

Justin Scott

Quote from: John Leyland on January 31, 2018, 11:49:26 AM
Quote from: Craig Wilusz on January 27, 2018, 09:46:17 AM

Wow! What were the drifts like?

Apparently the snow tapered off later.

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Dan Tucker

I don't have a vote, but I'd be a "no" on tapering sheets for the reasons that Peter, Craig and Justin explained. And I can splice and taper pretty well myself.

FWIW, I'm told that Nick Jerwood unwrapped a new factory stock boat in Perth 3 weeks before the Worlds and sailed it as supplied to a World Championship win. With mid-boom mainsheet even. I know that people love to tinker with their boats, which is fine (within the rules of course). But we do see this over and over again.
Race it like you stole it.

Drew Harper

Quote from: Dan Tucker on February 27, 2018, 09:13:01 AM
I don't have a vote, but I'd be a "no" on tapering sheets for the reasons that Peter, Craig and Justin explained. And I can splice and taper pretty well myself.

FWIW, I'm told that Nick Jerwood unwrapped a new factory stock boat in Perth 3 weeks before the Worlds and sailed it as supplied to a World Championship win. With mid-boom mainsheet even. I know that people love to tinker with their boats, which is fine (within the rules of course). But we do see this over and over again.

No surprise there. In big air mid boom sheeting is awesome, hell you vang the shit out of it anyways. ...gets rid of the cluge at the back of the boat too!
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Justin Scott

Quote from: Dan Tucker on February 27, 2018, 09:13:01 AM

Hmmm ......The boat was acquired in September 2017. The Jerwood/Devreis boat was one of the best prepared entries I have ever seen for a viper regatta.  Brian , Matt and Nick mapped out a well thought out training program that peaked at the worlds and good boat prep was part of that program.  Im sure Nick would be happy to share their practice and preparation in the lead up to the Worlds if we asked him. Locals tell me that in recent weeks they were out practicing 3- 4 days a week. I dont know much of that is urban legend but their victory was not a "jump in the boat" accident. Their preparation was phenomenal.  Their fittings,lines and rigging were tweaked to the exact set up they wanted. More importantly their boat handling was orchestrated to perfection. It was so good that it was distracting to watch. It was like having ringside seats at the ballet!

At this moment in time, in breeze, this team is simply the best in the world.

But it was not just the depth of talent and the humongous preparation that made these guys true champions.....you could not ask for three nicer guys to be on the race course with.  Over the course of 24 races during 6 days of racing + tuning sessions and the layday party, we got to know them and the other Aussie boats really well.

Nick and his wife have a great life story. Welsh, came to Esperance for a Flying Fifteen Worlds many years ago and just decided not to go home.  Nick was a terrible influence on Jackie.  Temptation itself! Before we left WA, the Jerwoods influence had Jackie looking at real estate in WA!!! 

Nick has been a big influence on young sailors in WA. Many young Australian Olympians have come through Nick's coaching programs.  He can not only win but help others to win....and delivers it all with a Welsh smile and an Australian tan! 

So many other teams I could talk about as well. Thank you to everyone from Australia. This was the most fun and best regatta I have sailed in ever.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Brad Boston

Just wondering when the rule changes will take effect!
Brad