2018 Viper 640 North American Championship

Started by Steve Chapman, October 31, 2017, 10:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Scott

Mambo Kings are in!

I used to know someone called Paul Zimmerman.....any relation?
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Steve Chapman

Relations or not, this is still a VIPER Family Affair.....

We are now 35 and not even half way there....

Let's all get registered - this is one of North America's best sailing venues!

Steve
Steve Chapman
Oshunmare - Viper #288
Chair International Viper 640 Class Association
Ottawa - Great Lakes Region

Peter Beardsley

Registration is off to a very solid start.  Maybe there will be a couple more boats from the GL Region.  I would expect another 3-5 entries from WLIS at minimum, and hopefully at least 3-5 more from the Chesapeake.  There's only one GYA entry so far, and that is very likely to improve, hopefully by a lot.  There's hopefully 1-2 more Marblehead entries in the hopper.  Plus I know of a couple of people looking for charter boats already.  So I think it's safe to assume that at some point in the process, hopefully in the next couple of months, we'll be at 50+ entries for Kingston in case anyone reading this from far away is debating whether to make travel plans. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Geoff Ewenson

on a completely seperate but relevant topic.....will there be a can am hockey game? ice or street?
the 505 class has done this in years past and it was a hoot.

Peter Beardsley

Quote from: Geoff Ewenson on February 06, 2018, 11:25:41 AM
on a completely seperate but relevant topic.....will there be a can am hockey game? ice or street?
the 505 class has done this in years past and it was a hoot.
The working plan is a street hockey tournament (sneakers/feet, sticks, ball, unclear if there will be goalies or not) - single elimination, teams organized by region (whether that means Annapolis, or Chesapeake A, Chesapeake B, etc., but hopefully there will be enough Annapolis sailors to field an Annapolis team), 6 on 6, short games (5 minutes?) to minimize odds of there being a cardiac event, champion team to get some prize to be determined (likely a case or two of Molson or Labatts), folks not playing or spectating will be eating / drinking around the field / concrete.  Post tourney, there will be a USA vs. Canada All-Star Game, with players drafted 2018 NBA Draft Style by assigned captains (Brad Boston for Canada, Zeke Horowitz for USA) to play a 10-minute game, if Americans win, a bottle of the finest Canadian Club, and if Canadians win, a bottle of the finest Jack Daniels.  Unclear if those drafted will receive custom jerseys for the occasion to motivate people to play hard in the tourney and be drafted, but maybe we can make up some t-shirts that will become highly coveted collectors items. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Darren Gilbert

We are quickly but quietly approaching 40 registered boats for the 2018 NA's in Kingston.  There are a few GL boats that have confirmed they are going but not yet registered, so I suspect we'll be above 40 soon.

Who else is going to make the trip to one of the best fresh water sailing venue's in the world I'm looking at you Gulf Coast...I think there is only one boat registered from your region!.  We sent 5 boats to FWYC last year (nudge nudge). 

Here's a couple of videos I found that will show you what sailing in Kingston looks like: (Sorry not Vipers)
https://youtu.be/oRuNPBY4X5I?t=6m42s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCrTCZB16PE

Kingston locals James and Heidi Colburn have even gone so far as to buy a 2nd Viper for this event!  That's dedication!  Running a 2 boat campaign.  Who do they think they are?  Larry Ellison?

Hope to see some more of you registered soon.
https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=4581

Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Steve Chapman

So it's mid-March, we have 37 boats registered!
Many people telling me that they are coming, but not registered yet...
This is going to be an awesome regatta -  the committee planning some fun social events - Kingston is a great place to be in July.

Steve Chapman
Oshunmare - Viper #288

Justin Scott

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on February 06, 2018, 01:44:57 PM
If Americans win, a bottle of the finest Canadian Club, and if Canadians win, a bottle of the finest Jack Daniels.   

Ugh!  Heads you lose. Tails you lose.

Can we form a Brit-Am team and if we win, the rest of you have to buy us a decent bottle of single malt whisky (please note that there is no e in whisky)....Although the 2016 Brora 38 years is probably too hard to locate ....but a bottle of Glenmorangie is perfectly drinkable.

Caution:  My boat may have a hockey ringer on board.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Steve Chapman

Head's up!!

The Early bird deadline is quickly approaching for the Viper 640 North American Championships.  Register before May 1st to save $$$!

The action begins on July 4th and continues until July 8th.

Viper 640 NA's Notice of Race
https://yachtscoring.com/event_doc.../.../2018%20Viper%20NOR.pdf

Viper 640 NA's event website and registration

Competitor information including details about travel to the venue, accommodation, and other amenities in the city of Kingston are available at:

www.cork.org

Steve Chapman
Oshunmare - Viper #288

Darren Gilbert

For those looking for an inexpensive place to stay, we booked rooms at the Thriftlodge (https://www.thriftlodgekingston.com/) for pretty cheap.  I checked it out on tripadvisor it looks like a good place.

Darren Gilbert

Update:  We are quietly up to 40 registered boats!

Just an FYI - I've found some inexpensive accommodations at the Thrift Lodge.  Tripadvisor.com (https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g154992-d281339-Reviews-Thriftlodge_Kingston-Kingston_Ontario.html) had some good reviews.

Van Sheppard

Today is the last day to register at the discounted rate of $600!!
Van Sheppard
Viper #211 Wadjet

Peter Beardsley

Now up to 44 entries.  Here is what I am seeing for street hockey:

Southern Bracket
Larchmont A
Larchmont B
Marblehead
Fairfield County, CT
Annapolis
GYA Pride

Northern Bracket
Nepean A
Nepean B (may need one more or an honorary Nepean...bet you could annex Alain)
Sarnia
Kingston
West Central Ontario
Northern Lakes

There are another 3-4 boats that defy easy geographic classification that could end up being a motley crew team or who can jump onto other teams to fill in for reluctant players. 

Assuming we crank this out and play 5-minute games (no goalies), each region would play a total of 5 games (3 first round games, team with highest goal delta gets a bye into the regional finals, other two winners play each other in the regional semis), and then the Intergalactic Championship of North vs. South.  If you don't get a bye, you may have to play 4 games, otherwise you play 3.  Or you only play 1 or 2 and then get to heckle like crazy.  If we want, we can also do an All Star Game between regions afterward where we delegate to the North and South sailmakers (Brad and Zeke) to draft teams NBA All Star Game style based on players from their regions. 

Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Darren Gilbert