Ok, cutting to the chase...suggestions on HEAVY air mast setting for the Viper

Started by Drew Harper, January 09, 2009, 01:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Shaughnessy

I'm guessing Boomslang = Schoonerman (on SA), new west coast rep ? 

Drew Harper

Yup, dats me. Schoonerman because of the big topsail schooner that sits outside my office.  We'll have a big party/sail on her when the first WCC's happen on SF Bay.   

Currently cruising 85 mph along the desert highway just outside Phoenix, 3am, looking forward to a days sailing in the Viper.  Doesn't get much better than this.

Just got news today from Brian.  BoomSlang is hull #104. Suhweet :-)
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Greg Jackson

Quote from: BoomSlang on January 16, 2009, 05:18:09 AM

Currently cruising 85 mph along the desert highway just outside Phoenix, 3am, looking forward to a days sailing in the Viper.  Doesn't get much better than this.

Watch out for the photo radar cameras on I10 once you get into town! Flash... never mind!

I'll be at the lake in about six hours!

Eric Gotwalt

Brian, your tuning recommendations are VERY helpful.  I'm still using  Doyles that were cut for the aluminum mast.  Any tips on set-up? Will your tuning numbers work with the Doyles if I set up for a bit less pre-bend?

Eric 

Drew Harper

Now, more than ever we need some solid numbers on tuning.

Are indexed turnbuckles (ronstan) allowed, by class rules?

It sure does make numbers a bit more empirical.

David Morse

Has Rondar ever put them on a boat?  This seems to be one way that changes of that type happen.  I really think that if one "calibrated" turnbuckle is used that it should open the door on anything comparable.

For tune numbers, why don't a few of us schedule a tuning session in Long Beach.  I will happily host it at ABYC.

Dan Tucker

Simple. It's really about prebend.

Harvey Barnes doesn't even use a Loos guage, just looks at prebend...

Rattler sailed on Sunday in Miami (23-27 knots) with about 4 1/2 inches of prebend. Lowers could  be pulled out to the uppers about 4' up from the deck. The Hyde main was nice & flat. Lots of vang upwind and down kept the forestay tight upwind and the jib flat too. We were as fast upwind as the boats with new Norths.

FWIW, I've never found calibrated turnbuckles to be much help on any boat.
Race it like you stole it.

Drew Harper

I'm a rookie...Only raced one Vipe regatta so please keep that in mind when I ask dumb questions. My Viper isnt here yet :-(

The reason I asked was that if there were numbers attached to wind, then it becomes more of a gauge for teaching and education. Dan's comment "pulled to uppers, 4' from deck" is the same thing, just a bit more subjective.

The Ronstan indexed buckles are used on The U20, U24's and A27's (along with Farr 30's Thompson 650's, etc) with much success. Once you know your settings, you never need a Loos Gauge. It's just a different approach to solve the same problem, perhaps with a skosh more objectivity.

We've got some experience with rig failures in the U20 class (LOL) Some large-brained people have taken a long look at the problem and come up with some solutions through discussion, testing, measurement and evaluation and finally education. We haven't lost a rig in quite some time as a result.