Author Topic: 2018 Season  (Read 688 times)

Darren Gilbert

• Extremely Active
2018 Season
« on: October 10, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »
Hi GL Gang - I just sent out an email to the group asking for some feedback on how 2017 went and what can be done better in 2018.  Please respond to the email with your suggestions.  I would love feedback from each and everyone of you so please don't hesitate to share your thoughts on how to make 2018 a great season.

Like we did for 2017, I wanted to start this thread early so once we get dates for regattas we can share them with the group.  Obviously the big regatta this year is going to be the 2018 NA's held in Kingston, July 19-22.  I hope everyone in the GL's can bring their boats to this one!  It would be great to have 100% turnout!  Maybe surpass Fort Walton's numbers this year.

Stay tuned!

Cheers!
Darren
Hull #194 'BLACK SHEEP'
Join the Great Lakes Facebook Group @ https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/510430029009814/

Nick Ward

• Class Member
  • Active
    • Proper Villain
Re: 2018 Season
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »
Brian and I were thinking another SYC event the first weekend in August.  S2 7.9 fleet is thinking of joining to help split up the work load.

Any other information from others?

Nick
Proper Villain #165

Darren Gilbert

• Extremely Active
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 02:05:47 PM »
Hi Nick, thanks for the update on the SYC regatta.  it would be great to have the S2 guys back with us again, they're typically a good group to party with.  Early August fits well for timing as well.

As for other events, this is what we have so far...
ABYC Levels Regatta (Toronto):  Likely May 26/27.  Last year we had 5 boats show up (7 registered).  It was our first year back at the ABYC event, they run a good regatta.  We need to decide if we are going to participate again this year.

BODS (Detroit): Likely June 1/2/3.  Last year we had 5 boats whos up (7 registered).  Between ABYC and BODs it might be best to concentrate on doing one event so we don't split the fleet on these back to back weekends.  My boat and Zigzag sailed both events last year, it's difficult to do both.

NODS (Ottawa):  Likely June 16/17.  The Vipers have been the biggest fleet at the NODs for a couple of years now.  Drawing 10+ boats, it's always a great event with an awesome party.  We are hoping to draw a few out of region boats as a tune up event for NA's.  If you want to leave your boat in Kingston or Ottawa in between NODs and NAs there might be an opportunity to do that.

North Americans (Kingston): July 4-8 (sailing July 5-8).  Please everyone come to this.  We hope to beat the Fort Walton numbers!

Sarnia Regatta: Likely first weekend in August.  The Bostons are great hosts, and there is always fantastic sailing with lots of races (9 in 2017).   

Hamilton Regatta:  Likely end of August.  Adrian from Hamilton has expressed interest in the vipers attending a sport boat regatta in Hamilton.  Any interest from the fleet to sail this event?  Perhaps drop ABYC and go with Hamilton?  Do both?  I'm looking for input here.

Lake Champlain:  Likely September 22/23.  Always a great event, drawing Vipers from WLIS and other areas on the east coast. 

So there you have it.  With the exception of ABYC/BODs we continue to keep the regattas spread out.  A good mix of 2/3/4 day events.  Please post your input as the schedule isn't cast in stone as to what events we will be at and what events will be scored for the series.

Thanks!
Darren
Hull #194 'BLACK SHEEP'
Join the Great Lakes Facebook Group @ https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/510430029009814/

Steve Chapman

• Class Member
  • Active
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 02:27:04 PM »

The Ottawa Vipers are getting together tomorrow night (Nov 29) and we'll talk this up and provide feedback.

It did seem difficult to get big numbers at ABYC/BODS, but I'm not sure that having one or the other would improve numbers...

If the GL Series is set up we can have either of those regattas count. However, if we have no interest from potential new members in ABYC, not sure we should be making the effort there.
I would much rather support the boats in Hamilton. Or put on a show in Montreal if Alain thought it would attract new owners.

Nepean, Kingston, Sarnia, Hamilton, Lake Champlain look like a good series.

So early season - ABYC, BOD - happy to plan to do both, BUT, if we had to chose, I support sailing in Bayview/Detroit as we have boats there already. What does Doug Hennessy have to say?

Steve
Steve Chapman
Oshunmare
Viper #211
Ottawa - Great Lakes Region

Steve Conger

• Class Member
  • Active
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »
Detroit, Sarnia, Kingston, and Hamilton would be my vote. No Toronto please. We had a good time staying with Doug this year but with no fleet there it is not in our best interest. My schedule doesn't allow time to get to Ottawa or Lake Champlain. 
43 zigzag

Adrian Laman

• Registered
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 02:26:01 PM »
Hi all. Just heard back from RHYC’s Race commitee. We are planning a sport boat regatta .  If we get 5 boats we will get our own start. September 22-23 is the preferred date with September 29-30 as a secondary date. Let me know your thoughts. Adrian

Van Sheppard

• Registered
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 08:53:13 PM »
Hi Adrien,

I think that your preferred dates will conflict with the Lake Champlain regatta; assuming it is held on the same weekend next year as it was this year.

The biggest gap in the schedule at the moment is between Sarnia (first weekend in August) and Lake Champlain (third weekend in September).  Any chance you could fit somewhere in the middle of that gap?

Cheers,

Van.
Van Sheppard
Viper #211 Wadjet
Ottawa - Great Lakes Region

Nick Ward

• Class Member
  • Active
    • Proper Villain
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 02:15:16 PM »
Hi Adrien,

Count my in for the RH sport boat event in at the end of September.  Am not planning on making the drive to LC either way.

Nick
Port Huron, MI
Proper Villain #165

Mike Thompson

• Class Member
  • Class Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 05:43:14 PM »
Hi Gang.  As Steve said, the Ottawa Viperers got together and this thread on the forum was a hot topic.  There is general agreement that Nepean, Kingston, Sarnia, Hamilton and Lake Champlain all look good.  I think you can expect all the Ottawa boats at Nepean, Kingston and Lake Champlain, and both Sarnia and Hamilton should see one or two Ottawa boats.

We seem split on ABYC or BOD.   I've never been to BOD, but it gets great reviews from Steve.  ABYC is centrally located and provides an opportunity to promote the boat in the Toronto region.  Personally, I'm looking at ABYC, Nepean, Kingston and Lake Champlain.  Having said that, if the group selects BOD, I'm good for that too.

To encourage even more boats to come to NOD, and to support the NAs in Kingston, I'm working on a package to have boats transferred from NOD to Kingston.  I'll be sending out something about that in the New Year.   In the meantime, if anyone would like to inquire about that, just IM me on this forum.
#116  Zamboni
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada
(Great Lakes Region)

Nick Ward

• Class Member
  • Active
    • Proper Villain
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 09:21:58 AM »
Am in for Kingston NAC, Sarnia and Hamilton (depending on date selected).  I will not make ABYC, BOD or LC.

I am playing the on sailing the Fall Series in Detroit.

Nick
Proper Villain #165

Steve Conger

• Class Member
  • Active
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »
If Hamilton is in September as Adrian has suggested we will not be able to attend. If it is in August as Van has mentioned, we will attend. If the group decides against Detroit there are enough local boats between Detroit/Sarnia that there would probably be a class start at BOD anyway, like there was this year.
43 zigzag