Viper in the Netherlands. Rigging for 1st time.

Started by vautour, February 28, 2017, 02:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vautour

Hello guys,

I just bought hull 79 and will bring it from France to the Netherlands this April. Never sailed a Viper before but just on gathering info online I became so convinced I bought this well maintained 2008 Viper unseen.

Perhaps being the 1st Viper in Holland I would very much like to have more information about rigging / setting up the Viper. I found already tuning guides, but if someone has a video (or can shoot one) from stepping mast to organising all lines and basic settings it would be a big help for us preparing the boat for our first sail.

Thanks and happy sailing...

Parker Hoblin

#22 'Mongoose' Bennett Built

Justin Scott

Vantour,

Reach out to the class administrator Buttons Padin and he will get you on the class newsletter etc.

Stepping the mast is very straightforward. Easiest with 3 people for first time but two can do it...and with a couple of lines you can do it single handed.
Assuming three.
Attach shrouds and run halyards etc.
Two people in boat and one on the ground behind the boat.
Butt of mast facing forward tip aft, with butt footed in the boat . Walk the mast to vertical. Then the two in the boat lift the mast and lower it into the mast slot between the two mast pins.  Aft pin should be in aft hole or second from aft.
Secure headstay.
Its safe as soon as headstay secure.

Attach other shrouds.

Tighten upper shrouds to 32-35 on the loos gauge. Tighten lower shrouds to hand tight.

Put sails up. Go sailing.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Lee Shuckerow

http://www.harken.com/DeckLayout.aspx?id=13769

This shows jib sheets, jib halyard and jib halyard fine tune.

Rig the boat, most things will be obvious. On the other items ask more questions when they come up. There are a lot of discussions on rigging and boat handling deeper in the forum.

This is a fun boat when things are going well, the best tool on the boat is a velocitek so you can see your Speed!
Jackpot  #235

vautour

Thanks guys.

I picked the Viper up in France last weekend and brought it to the Netherlands. Attached you find a picture of the Viper on her way.

Tomorrow we will step the mast and put her in the water.

Take care all and kind regards from Holland.

Lee Shuckerow

Good luck. There's lots of videos if you haven't watched them. Blow through gybes are a big one in breeze to help prevent wipeouts.
Also there's a new vertical rudder bracket passed by the class that rondar sells now. It will give you more control when it's windier
Jackpot  #235

Justin Scott

Congrats.

We love it that you tow it behind a VW Golf. That is what the Viper is all about.

Feel free to reach out to any of us for advice.

There are a bunch of Australian Viper sailors going to the Viper Euro Cup on Lake Garda.  If you feel ready for some nice big breeze it is a beautiful place to sail.

If you are ever in US, you will always get a warm welcome at any club where Vipers are sailed.

Good luck and good sailing.

Justin
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

vautour

Thanks Justin for your kind reply.

Towing the Viper with a VW Golf 1.4 TSI was no problem what so ever. We did appr. 120/130 km per hour on the highway.

I was in Florida last year and visited the Viper regatta in Sarasota. Decided then to buy one.

When you ever find yourself in the Netherlands drop by and do some Dutch Viper sailing....

Good sailing.

Hans

Michelle Lee

One of my friends has an apartment in Amsterdam and we're talking about planning a girls' trip there later this summer.  If/when we make it over I'd love to go for a Viper sail and would be happy to help with any rigging questions you might still have.  We may have met at a Sarasota regatta - I had Viper #202.

When we get closer to making final plans, I'll check in to see if you're around then.

Cheers,
Michelle

vautour

Hi Michelle,

Always welcome.

Early July some good friends from Utah are coming over. So we willl have an all American/Dutch BBQ....

Best.

Hans

Colin Santangelo

Hey Vautour - on my boat we step the mast a little differently.  I think it's easier, but definitely give both methods a try:

1.  Start with two people next to the boat, and get the mast vertical (one person holds base, other person walks it up.

2. Someone gets in the boat while the other person keeps the mast vertical.

3. Person in the boat grabs the mast and lifts straight up, and then into the boat, placing it in the step

4. Other person attaches the forestay.

The mast is super light and pretty easy to just lift straight up when it's standing. 

Darren Gilbert

Quote from: Colin Santangelo on May 22, 2017, 10:49:48 AM
Hey Vautour - on my boat we step the mast a little differently.  I think it's easier, but definitely give both methods a try:

1.  Start with two people next to the boat, and get the mast vertical (one person holds base, other person walks it up.

2. Someone gets in the boat while the other person keeps the mast vertical.

3. Person in the boat grabs the mast and lifts straight up, and then into the boat, placing it in the step

4. Other person attaches the forestay.

The mast is super light and pretty easy to just lift straight up when it's standing.

This is the method that we use.
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Lee Shuckerow

That method is fine, unless there is some breeze
Jackpot  #235