Wanted Viper "Wet Boat"

Started by Joe Looby, February 11, 2017, 01:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Looby

Hi all.
I am looking for a wet sailed Viper (bottom paint and anti foul).
I am in located in Ontario, Canada.

I plan to sail the boat 'wet' off a dock and want to see if anyone wants to sell their already prepped boat.

Thanks
Joe Looby
[email protected]

Dave Dougall

I did Interprotect 2000 (5 coats) and sanded to 360.  I then applied vc17 to bottom and keel.  I did this 9yrs ago and do not have any blisters on hull as I keep  #28 in the water at my dock from May thru October.  I did not do rudder as I pull it off every time and have to lift the keel because of depth of water at the dock.  I am not looking to sell #28 yet as I am still having a blast sailing it.   I thought I would respond to your post as to what I used on the bottom.

Darren Gilbert

Dave - Thanks for responding to Joe.  We've been trading emails about viper sailing out of a wet well and I wasn't aware of anyone doing this.  I appreciate you sharing this info as we'd like to get Joe into the GL fleet!

Cheers!
Darren
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Dave Dougall

Darren/Joe....I am one of 2 or 3 that wet sail a viper.  Guy on Lake Dillon, Co does the same I think.  When the keel is up I put a 3 ft +/- 2x4 under the keel top plate to take the strain off the rig.  I still have a aluminum mast.  Lake George finally froze over 3 days ago.  Twelve weeks till first Wednesday night race.

Peter Beardsley

Bob Bowditch wet sails # 136 in Maine.  http://www.viper640.org/usa-news/you-can-viper-here/ - it's shown up to a few regattas and does just fine. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Joe Looby

Great thanks Peter and Dave.
That info is just what I needed.
Just need to find a boat (I probably will just add the coating and anti foul myself).

Joe

Dave Dougall

When I did work on  #28 I removed the keel,  set boat down on grass and turned over, upside down.  I got 3 friends (and beer) and we carried the boat into my garage and set on 4 saw horses with a 2x10 for support.  A lot easier fairing the bottom were there were some dings and applied the interprotect 2000.  When done we did the reverse procedure.  Before I launched the boat I brought it down to my local marina and put up in hoist to do the vc17 on bottom and keel in lowered position.

Tim Carter

Dave, How much "Fair" did you need to do??
Lt Coast Gov

Dave Dougall

When I bought #28 about 10 yrs ago, the attached picture is how the keel looked.  I had to do some filling and sanding to make the keel reasonable in shape.  I would like to get a keel template to check it out to make sure it is close to spec.  Not sure who to ask about getting one.

Dave Dougall

As  for the hull, it had some gouges in it, not big....only a few sq inches.  I noticed areas on the hull that were concave so I filled and faired those.  Those areas were only the size of your palm.  I then applied 5 coats of interprotect 2000 and sanded to 360 to apply the vc17.

Justin Scott

Dave Dougal.....great grand master at the 2008 NAs.....forever young......but watch out Dave, Timbo and I are catching you up!

It is really really great to hear that 28 is still in Dave's good hands and I for one will be the first to lend you a carbon rig and buy the first round, when we see you again.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Tim Carter

Quote from: Dave Dougall on February 24, 2017, 09:20:59 AM
When I bought #28 about 10 yrs ago, the attached picture is how the keel looked.  I had to do some filling and sanding to make the keel reasonable in shape.  I would like to get a keel template to check it out to make sure it is close to spec.  Not sure who to ask about getting one.

Dave...   Have you named your boat "Sharkbite"...??  ;)
Lt Coast Gov