Newport 2017?

Started by David Furna, December 01, 2016, 05:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Furna

Any chance we get Vipers racing in Newport next summer?
Worked well racing there and then Mumblehead, anyone interested?

Peter Beardsley

I get to put together the northeast calendar in my new role as Regional VP for the Northeast.  If folks have suggestions for events and there is critical mass of folks who want to attend, we'll put it on the calendar.  There's not a local fleet in Newport beating down my door in recent years and there have been some logistical complications in recent years with an EFG / Bacardi event and where to base it from.  I'll have to have a conversation with the powers that be to see whether we have any sponsor obligations to be in Newport first, but if there are other folks who want to do a particular event and want it to be a Viper start, let me know. 

In general for the Regional VP gig, I plan to work with fleet captains (with input from anyone else who wants to chime in) to at minimum find venues for and help promote the following events:

- Atlantic Coast Champs
- New England Champs
- Mid Atlantic Champs

Goals include maximizing turnout to have great regattas, not stepping on other events, and rotating venues to build fleets in areas with promise where there are active fleet captains who have boots on the ground to assist with growth and promotional efforts. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Peter Broszkowski

Dave - come down to Sarasota. Not a long drive down.
Peter Broszkowski
Nyack Boat Club
USA 193

David Furna

Trying to get to Sarasota....but also
Looking ahead to summer sailing...too damn hot in NC to sail July/aug, Newport is awesome that time of year.

Peter Beardsley

It would be great to have a regatta in Newport in August, esp. given how open the east coast calendar is around that time.  Unfortunately, it'll likely have to wait until 2018 - August regattas in Newport typically have to be self-scheduled with SailNewport or others, and a few other classes look to have called dibs around that time of year.  It's definitely something I will be looking into for future years.  Would help a lot if some of the Newport area Vipers carried the water on this though to propose something. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"