Author Topic: Optional 2017 Toronto Event  (Read 2758 times)

Darren Gilbert

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
Optional 2017 Toronto Event
« on: November 29, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I've been approached by Doug Hennessy about a possible Toronto Viper event in 2017.  He has been in contact with ABYC (Ashbridge's Bay Yacht Club) about the Vipers sailing in their Level's regatta May 27/28.  The fleet did this event back in 2012 (http://www.lorc.org/Results2012/ABYCD.htm).  ABYC has a very nice facility with 2 hoists and a good size parking lot for staging.  Last year the cost was $110.00 for the regatta.
Our biggest problem is if we sail at ABYC, then the BOD's are the next weekend in Detroit and we have had issues in the past with splitting the fleet.  That said, Doug is looking to assist with Boat Storage between the events for those coming from the east.

So the question is, do we want to try to sail back to back weekends with ABYC being May 27/28 and Bayview One Design being June 2-4?

Please provide your answer to...WILL YOU SAIL
A) ABYC Only
B) BODs Only
C) Both
D) Neither
Feel free to leave feedback as well.

Cheers!
Darren
Hull #194 'BLACK SHEEP'
Join the Great Lakes Facebook Group @ https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/510430029009814/

Nick Ward

• Class Member
  • Active
    • Proper Villain
Re: Optional 2017 Toronto Event
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 09:13:01 AM »
D) Neither, both events conflict with other plans
Proper Villain #165

James Colburn

• Class Member
  • Active
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 11:41:12 AM »
Likely ABYC we have a conflicting event for BOD.

James

AdrianLaman

• Class Member
  • Registered
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 12:28:23 PM »
Likely ABYC only

Steve Chapman

• Class Member
  • Active
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 06:11:42 PM »
I would try to do BOTH.
However, that makes our May/June very loaded, with Nepean One Design in June too.

Steve
Steve Chapman
Oshunmare
Viper #211
Ottawa - Great Lakes Region

Mike Thompson

• Class Member
  • Class Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 06:52:54 PM »
A) ABYC only.

Two reasons:
  1) Getting a Toronto event is important for the fleet.
  2) Can't do back-to-back events.

Thanks for the leg-work on this Darren.
#116  Zamboni
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada
(Great Lakes Region)

Tom Peterson

• Active
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 06:54:53 PM »
B) BODS only
Viper #106 "Widespread Panic"

Brian Johansen

• Class Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »
A) or B), not both with preference to BOD's because of 3 days of racing.   I agree with getting something in Toronto should be a priority for our fleet. 
  Speaking with some of the east coast fleet,  they would be potentially be interested in coming to canada in July or August. 

Darren Gilbert

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
Thank you everyone for putting forth your input. 

My personal opinion is I would likely sail BODs over ABYC.  It's a 3 day event and will be the furthest regatta at that end of the region.  That's not to say I'm against a Toronto event but not the weekend before BODs.  Maybe if it was later in the season, or a smaller 'exhibition' event?

On that front, I'd hate to see both events scheduled because then fleet will be split over two events.  I think the goal for this year is for us to have 10+ boats on the start line for each event and by booking back to back weekend I can't see that happening.  We also need to support each other by traveling.  I've said it before but since the GL's is such a large region, we are challenged with the boats being spread out.  There are a number of sub regions within the GL's (Detroit/Sarnia Region, Ottawa/Montreal/Kingston Region, Lake Champlain Region, Toronto Region, New York Region, West Region) each with 3 to 7 boats. 

Let's keep the chatter going.  It helps knowing what other boats/regions are thinking.
Hull #194 'BLACK SHEEP'
Join the Great Lakes Facebook Group @ https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/510430029009814/

Matt Rowlinson

• Class Member
  • Very Active
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 02:13:30 PM »
Hi all--Darren, afraid Grendel is probably in for ABYC, but probably not for BOD's.

cheers, Matthew CAN 70

Steve Conger

• Class Member
  • Active
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 10:35:11 AM »
I understand Toronto is important to help grow the fleet, and there has been an effort to build there before and the results were not fruitful. We should continue to try, and I will do both Toronto and Detroit if that's what it takes because traveling to regattas in our region is necessary. Because Chicago is not on the calendar for this year lets do a Toronto regatta in place of Chicago in August 
43 zigzag

Peter Beardsley

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 01:20:36 PM »
We're unlikely to do either event since we're out of region and have conflicting east coast events that weekend (including, FYI, Viper Atlantic Coast Champs at Hampton YC in Virginia June 3-5 if that matters to anyone who is reading this), but on the fleet growth note, I've found that while it's nice to sail in an area where you want to get boats, you also need some boots on the ground pushing things too, otherwise you don't get very far.  Other Vipers would come to Larchmont from time-to-time for the now defunct Larchmont NOOD and have 5-8 boats on the line (zero LYC teams).  There was never outreach to LYC sailors to get them on visiting Vipers (or if there was, I never heard about it), and no follow up efforts.  Those efforts were not what started the Larchmont Viper fleet.  It was instead a group of Viper sailors who saw growing fleets around them in Stamford/Indian Harbor and were impressed at the 2009 Viper NAs turnout in Stamford, and then a year later, 5 owners decided to band together and buy 5 boats.  In summary: figure out who from Toronto is a prospect, even if you have to poach them from other fleets, get them on a Viper for an event in Toronto, follow up with them regularly, send them listings about good used boats, keep inviting them to other regattas to sail with folks, etc. 
Larchmont YC Fleet
Viper 269 "Great Scott!"
Formerly Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Brian Johansen

• Class Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 02:52:41 AM »
If Conger is willing to do both regattas, you can probably count #55 in also. 

On another note: It's not quite Toronto but pretty darn close to Niagara falls on the American side.

The CAN AM challenge in Youngstown on Lake Ontario. It's 6.5 hours from larchmount and it's a 3 day regatta with a street hockey challenge.  July 28-30.  We should be able to get some great class exposure if we get a good turnout. 

http://www.yyccanam.com

Nick Ward

• Class Member
  • Active
    • Proper Villain
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 05:51:04 PM »
I would sail in the CAN AM.

Nick
Proper Villain #165

Steve Conger

• Class Member
  • Active
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 01:17:04 PM »
I would do Youngstown as it fits the schedule better than the Toronto-Detroit back to back in june
43 zigzag