Author Topic: 2017 Season  (Read 3640 times)

Nick Ward

• Class Member
  • Active
    • Proper Villain
2017 Season
« on: October 19, 2016, 08:48:12 AM »
I know it is early and some of us are thinking about Bermuda, but it is never to early to talk about the schedule for next season.. 
Proper Villain #165

Darren Gilbert

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
Re: 2017 Season
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
Nick - Thanks for posting this up.  After we finished the Lake Champlain regatta I started talking with a number of other GL boats about the 2017 season.  I was going to leave it until after NA's but you're right, it's never too early to talk about next year's schedule.

Probably the best place to start is a recap of this season.   2016 saw 5 Great Lakes Regattas, with a total of 33 races, and 21 different GL boats participating in at least 1 regatta...a VERY successful season in my opinion.   I have a count of 32 boats on the Great Lakes so ~64% participation across the fleet.  Of the 5 regattas (Detroit, Ottawa, Kingston, Chicago, Lake Champlain) we had double digit numbers for boats on the start line at 3 regattas.  Lake Champlain had the highest at 18!

The Fleet as a whole is also getting stronger.  This year saw a few boats change hands, but also stay in the region.  55 and 194 went from Chicago to Sarnia/London and 29 went from London to Hamilton. 
Currently there are 4 boats in the region for sale on the forums (http://forum.viper640.org/index.php/board,5.0.html):
77 - Brad Dumas, Lake Champlain, Asking USD19,000
87 - James Colburn, Kingson, Asking CAD22,000
119 - Dave Banyard, Cleveland, Asking USD22,500
164 - Terry Phillips, Cleveland, Asking USD25,000
I know of two more that are not listed on the forums (Contact me if you're interested). 
Finding owners on the Great Lakes for these is a priority, so talk to your friends and get them interested!  It's worth noting that some of the owners who are selling are only doing so to upgrade to a newer boat and grow the fleet.  I recently did this and am happy to talk to anyone thinking of upgrading or getting into the fleet.
So where are the boats?  Ottawa/Kingston/Montreal (52, 75, 87, 116, 117, 190, 211) and Detroit/Port Huron/Sarnia/London (40, 43, 55, 58, 165, 194, 235) are leading the way with 7 boats each.  The Greater Toronto Area now has 4 boats (29, 57, 70, 150).  Lake Champlain has 4 boats (18, 22, 42, 77).  There are 3 boats in New York (28, 50, 84), and 3 boats in the "West" (41, 106, 231).  So that leaves 4 boats that aren't seen on the circuit, #13 in Missouri, #17 in Missouri, #119 in Cleveland, and #164 in Cleveland.
To build on our momentum in these GL clusters and the momentum in our already strong GL regatta schedule, I would like to propose the following Dates/Locations for the 2017 Regatta Series:
Detroit One Design (Detroit) - My guess is the BODs will be June 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.  Sailing out of Crescent is probably the best plan.  It's a quick sail out to the circle we race on.  The BODs have a solid tradition of running lots of races throughout the 3 day regatta.  Race Committee is (in my opinion) better than average.  Last year's entry fee was $175.00 and we had 7 entries.  Steve Conger is the local fleet promoter for this event.
Nepean One Design (Ottawa) - The NODs are scheduled for June 17-18 weekend.  It's a two day event, sailing out of Nepean Sail Club.  Nepean is known for throwing a really good regatta dinner and party on the Saturday night.  Last year the entry fee was $135 and we had 10 boats on the line.  2 years ago they gave us a viper pit right in front of the clubhouse/bar which was a great way to promote the class.  Hopefully we can get that again for 2017.
Steve Chapman is the local fleet promoter for this event.
Kingston Viper Regatta (Kingston) - Last year this regatta was sailed July 10/11 weekend.  Kingston is know for big breeze, plus this is a VIPER ONLY event.  We had a great group of volunteers running this event last year and I would think it would be another great time in 2017.  There has been some talk about moving this event to another date in hopes of getting a Sarnia event in 2017.  Any thoughts on this James?  Entry fee was $130.00 and we sailed with 10 boats last year.
James Colburn is the local promoter for this event.
Sarnia Regatta - This is a blank page.  The Vipers have sailed Sarnia in the past but didn't have a regatta there in 2016, which IMHO is too bad.  This is a great venue, usually with good breeze, and lots of races.  I would like to see a July or August Viper regatta in Sarnia in 2017 (alternate months with Kingston).  In the past the Bostons have ran this event for us,but we need to support them by committing enough boats to this event.
Brian and Betsy will have to be the local fleet promoters for this event.
Hamilton/Toronto Regatta - The last few years we've talked about having a Toronto regatta but without any vipers located along the city front it's been tough sledding to pick a venue and to promote the event .  Alternatively, we could look at doing something in Hamilton.  I don't have any opinions on dates other than to make sure they're spread out accordingly to not poach boats from already established events.
Gord/Adrian/Matt&Mark/Doug, anyone want to volunteer to run with this?
Lake Champlain Regatta - OUR SUPERBOWL!  Dates are already set for September 23/24 in 2017.  The Lake Champlain event has quickly established itself as a can't miss regatta.  2016 saw 18 boats on the line including 10 from the Great Lakes Fleet.  This is a VIPER ONLY event, we ran 10 races in 2015 and 10 in 2016. Cost was $120.00 for 2016.  Lake Champlain YC is a great host, this year we had Amy Mantis play guitar and sing for us all huddled around the fire after sailing on Saturday.  I think we should continue to push this event in 2017 in hopes that we draw more boats from the East Coast and our own fleet.
Jason Hyerstay is the local fleet promoter for this event.

We also held a Chicago event in 2016.  Personally I didn't sail it but Chicago is always known for good sailing, the only problem is there aren't any Vipers left in Chicago so perhaps our efforts are better spent at venues with local boats?  It's at least worth a conversation.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on 2016 and looking forward to 2017.  I encourage everyone to speak up and share their thoughts and opinions.  The fleet's goal is to continue to grow on the Great Lakes and to consistently have 10+ boats on the start line for each regatta.

Cheers!
Darren
Hull #194 'BLACK SHEEP'
Join the Great Lakes Facebook Group @ https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/510430029009814/

Jason Hyerstay

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
  • Streetwise - Viper 640 #195
    • Lake Champlain Yacht Club
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:22:54 PM »
Lake Champlain is on our club calendar and the Viper 640 calendar already! September 23-24.
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, http://lcyc.info/racing/viper_640

Drey DG

• Registered
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 06:59:11 PM »
Hey. We (#74) are planning to attend Bayfield race week on Lake Superior in July 2017. Last year the event added a sportboat division and we are looking forward to participating. It would be great to see some other vipers out there!

Darren Gilbert

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 05:43:28 AM »
Hi Drey. Thanks for speaking up. The closest viper that way would be Tom Peterson with 106 in Wisconsin.
Hull #194 'BLACK SHEEP'
Join the Great Lakes Facebook Group @ https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/510430029009814/

Nick Ward

• Class Member
  • Active
    • Proper Villain
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 08:26:22 AM »
Per the Facebook page, SYC (Sarina) is thinking of having the Vipers during Saifest, which would be July 8 and 9. 

Issue, this is the same weekend as Kingston event was in 2016.
Proper Villain #165

Darren Gilbert

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 03:27:50 PM »
Moving Kingston to August, without including it in CORK (which increases the price significantly) would be difficult. 
Plus it was nice to be able to drop the boats off in Kingston after Ottawa and save the miles on the trailers. 

Is there something we can put together for August in Sarnia?

So if the Schedule looked something like:

June 2-4 - BODs
June 17-18 - NODs
July 8-9 or 15-16 - Kingston Viper Regatta
August - Something in Sarnia?
September 23-24 - Lake Champlain Viper Regatta

We also need to designate one of these regattas as our Great Lakes Championships, and possibly a Canadian Championship regatta.  Any thoughts on this?  (LOL is anyone listening or are you all in Bermuda?)
Hull #194 'BLACK SHEEP'

Doug Hennessy

• Class Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »
Hey Darren,
I have contacted Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club in Toronto and spoken with one of their Committee Race Members.  I sent him the roughed out detail for possible 2017 dates.  He will get back to me with possible dates.  Best opportunity there may be their Open Regatta at the end of May. 
I will follow up and keep you posted.

-  Doug
Doug Hennessy
Medusa
Viper #57
Great Lakes Region - Toronto

Darren Gilbert

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 02:10:12 PM »
First off, thank you to everyone who has contributed feedback towards the 2017 Schedule.  One of the things I love about helping out with the GL fleet is I think we are a vocal group.  We can be flexible year over year with our schedule.  I think it's great that we can try out different locations, and make changes as we need to.  So with that, below is the proposed GL Schedule for 2017 (along with the local contact):
May 27/28 - Toronto/ABYC (Doug Hennessy)
June 17/18 - Ottawa/NODs (Steve Chapman)
July 8/9 - Kingston/Viper Canadians Champs(James Colburn)
July 29/30 or Aug 5/6 - Detroit (Steve Conger)
August 19/20 - Sarnia/Viper Great Lakes Champs (Brian Johansen)
September 23/24 - Lake Champlain (Jason Hyerstay)
(Note: Individual Threads will be started for each event)

In the past the fleet has favoured 2 day events vs. 3 day events.  Sarnia will likely have a practice regatta on Friday for those arriving early.  We wanted to keep events spread out both in scheduling and geography.  The numbers for ABYC vs. BODs favoured ABYC so we will try it out this year.  Other events that were of consideration include the CANAM regatta in Youngstown, Bronte regatta in Toronto, and something in Hamilton.  Finally we wanted to get the GL schedule established early to attract boats from the East Coast.

So call into work and book vacation!  Talk to your wife (or significant other) and let her know those weekends are off limits.  And most importantly keep plugging the boat to your sailing friends.  We want to grow the GL fleet for a 6th consecutive year (FYI we are up to 34 boats now)!
Hull #194 'BLACK SHEEP'

Nick Ward

• Class Member
  • Active
    • Proper Villain
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 08:08:36 AM »
Probably should get the following listed on the Viper640.org event tab, the Lake Champlain event already is listed.

May 27/28 - Toronto/ABYC (Doug Hennessy)
June 17/18 - Ottawa/NODs (Steve Chapman)
July 8/9 - Kingston/Viper Canadians Champs(James Colburn)
August 19/20 - Sarnia/Viper Great Lakes Champs (Brian Johansen)
Proper Villain #165

Darren Gilbert

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 09:16:03 AM »
Good reminder...thanks Nick.  I'll forward an email to Buttons to have them added.
Hull #194 'BLACK SHEEP'

Steve Chapman

• Class Member
  • Active
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »
Looks like a great season, with 6 events hopefully most boats can make at least 4 events.
It will make the competition for the Great Lakes Circuit trophy very interesting!
Real silverware to be won this year!

Hopefully we'll get a few 20 boat regattas this year in the GL!

Hopefully Steve Conger can get us a good date in Detroit - looking forward to it.

Steve
Steve Chapman
Oshunmare
Viper #211
Ottawa - Great Lakes Region

Nick Ward

• Class Member
  • Active
    • Proper Villain
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 11:53:17 AM »
Steve,

Should the Great Lakes Trophy be scored with event placement versus each race like last year.  Scoring each race weights events that are able to get more racing in due to schedule or weather higher.

Maybe a high point event scoring with a minimum event attendance to qualify?
Proper Villain #165

Tac Boston

• Active
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »
use good ole Cox Sprague scoring system.

Peter Beardsley

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 08:26:04 PM »
Attached is what we use for the WLIS Circuit.  Low point, rewards travel, score overall regatta finish only.  Feel free to borrow if it works for you guys.  Note that for our season championship at Larchmont, we use Cox Sprague since there are many more races - that is effectively high point with weighting.  I can upload that one too if people really want to score each race.  I can tell you that the data entry is a lot more cumbersome for that than it is for the WLIS circuit.
Larchmont YC Fleet
Viper 269 "Great Scott!"
Formerly Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"