Mainsail clam cleats

Started by Peter Bauer, October 09, 2016, 05:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Bauer

Can someone tell me what size clam cleats are used for halyards on a mark3 boat? 

Dave Nickerson

CL222 is on the bottom of my spare.  APS shows them as C222.  About $10.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Peter Bauer

Thanks Dave!  mine are shot.

Justin Scott

They are a bloody PITA to replace and wear out much too quickly. There has to be a better way to keep our mainsails up.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Darren Gilbert

Any thoughts on adding a simple horn cleat?
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Somers Kempe

Have put up with those clam cleats for too long.  Next boat will have a horn cleat.    Of course we could then argue about the right way to tie the halyard to the cleat...  :)
Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Mike Thompson

My cleats are shot as well, and will be replaced over the winter.  A couple questions:

1) Justin Scott says replacing is a PITA.  Anything special I should watch out for?
2) Seriously thinking about replacing the lower cleat with a horn.  Any reason why I shouldn't?  Does that violate a Class rule?
#116  Zamboni
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada
(Great Lakes Region)

Dave Nickerson

Class rules can be found here and they are an easy read.
http://www.viper640.org/technical/rules/

The quick answer to your question is horn cleats are fine

"8.4 The main halyard cleats must be at or near the base of the mast and may be of any type. "
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Peter Beardsley

I have a cam cleat on a swivel (miniature version of the spin halyard headknocker) that Ron Pletsch installed for us in Sarasota. There was some work involved on his end to back it inside the mast to ensure that it'd be durable but so far, so good - definitely easier to use.  Doesn't slip.  A little harder to remove the compass bracket for trailering but the mast cover still fits over it.  That said, there's no reason to install it until the old cleats or block start shredding. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Jason Hyerstay

I used a 40mm Harken block with attached cam cleat. Big improvement.
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Nick Ward

People using the cam cleat on a swivel, did you remove the other clam cleats?

Nick
Proper Villain #165

Peter Beardsley

Yes, minimize holes in mast by reusing existing holes as much as possible.  That said, you will end up making new holes and not filling all of them.  Regardless, you should always be pulling your main halyard up outside any cleat (better for halyard and for cleat, esp. with the clam cleats though) and only pulling up the last inch or two through the cleat, and you should rinse the cleats with fresh water regularly (a commonly missed spot during boat cleaning). 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Darren Gilbert

Hey Peter - Do you know what size the swivel block and cleat is on your boat?  Any pictures available?

Do you find it catches on anything else at the base of the mast?  I have my spin sock on the port side already so that might help.
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Jason Hyerstay

My block is just shackled to the same attachment as the old tiny block.
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Peter Beardsley

I do not have a photo, sorry.  It's like you'd expect though - nothing too tricky on the exterior, looks like the system for the spin halyard except for the main halyard and mounted right side up with a smaller fitting. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"