2016 Viper New England Championships: Marblehead August 27th, 28th

Started by Cole Constantineau, June 30, 2016, 09:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Scott

Marblehead Race Week looks like they have a nice day forecast today. 9-13 sea breeze from the East veering to the SE.  Lovely.

1200   06  04-08   075  060-090 ...transition to sea breeze
1300   08  06-10   090  075-105
1400   11  09-13   095  080-110
1500   11  09-13   095  080-115
1600   11  09-13   105  090-125
1700   11  09-14   125  110-150

With this wind pattern, for the first start despite the veer, you typically bang off to the left from the Tinkers start line to get into the Sea Breeze which fills in with more pressure offshore.

When the breeze has settled in at around 10 knots, the call is timing when to play the right because the veer accelerates.

If they get those typical round long 2-4 feet high Marblehead rollers coming in from the Atlantic, then a SE breeze is perfect wind direction for long easy sleigh rides on top of the waves. Yummy. There is a reason that the Viper Class first got traction in Marblehead.

The great thing about Marblehead is the race course is open ocean, blue water with very nice wave patterns. You turn right out of the harbor and boom, you are in the Atlantic. Have fun guys.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Matt Rowlinson

Grendel CAN 70 is coming down to this event to get some salt water sailing in before summer is done. But we need a third to sail with us. Anyone wanting to race who isn't already committed to a boat, we'd love to have you. Or if anyone in Marblehead know someone who wants to get on a Viper, please put him/her in touch. Mark and I promise to keep it mellow and have fun. Email mrowlinson<at>mac.com.

Matthew Rowlinson

Jason Hyerstay

I am tempted if my team can't go! I have a cousin in Marblehead too.

Will you guys be coming to our Lake Champlain Viper 640 Regatta?

Cheers
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Dave Nickerson

More boats will come to Champlain if you come to Marblehead and tell tall tales about what a great regatta you run. 

Actually, no tales need to be told - Lake Champlain event is in the not to be missed category.

18 was originally from Marblehead.  You'll have inherent local knowledge.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Matt Rowlinson

Quote from: Jason Hyerstay on August 04, 2016, 01:28:57 AM
I am tempted if my team can't go! I have a cousin in Marblehead too.

Will you guys be coming to our Lake Champlain Viper 640 Regatta?

Cheers

We are planning for Lake Champlain--grew up sailing there and really looking forward to coming back. Come to Marblehead! Love to have you if you can't get your boat down.

Cole Constantineau

Hello all! 

This is shaping up to be a really fun event! We have 13 registered now, and I know of at least 3 more that will be signed up over the next couple of days.  I really do think this should be a 20+ event.  The local fleet is working on Friday night entertainment as we speak and if you're on the fence because of crew, don't be, as we'll be able to match you up with skilled and fun crew!

Cheers,

Cole

Peter Beardsley

15 entries now.  $60 late fee kicks in tomorrow for those who have yet to sign up.
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Peter Beardsley

Nice conditions in Marblehead this weekend - 8-10 kts dying to 4-7 kts for the final two races on Day 1, followed by a building seabreeze of up to 13 kts on Sunday for 3 more races in the 7-race series.  Results below for posterity in case the site disappears.  Racing got tighter as the weekend went on. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Fletcher

Viper 207 Back in Business