New boat

Started by David Furna, June 02, 2016, 06:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Furna

Alright guys, I've been around the fleet for several years and have sailed on Bennetts, early Rondars....better Rondars, have had many boat yard discussions about the good/bad/problems that exist.....well I have just rigged my new Viper hull 255 and proud to say it's just as ordered. I weighed it first, and it was 750lbs. All the rigging fit and the boat could be sailed "out of the box". Like most of you, I've changed all the things I need to make it "my way", but that's personal preference and extra money. For all the complaints you hear about this, that and no free booze at a regatta.......just wanted to say, Rondar is putting out a good product.
(This is not a paid advertisement nor am I endorsed to speak on Rondars behalf)

Peter Beardsley

I agree that the new boats are really solid.  Not necessarily faster, just solid and consistent.  Here's hoping I can find a way to lock down hull 300...
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Justin Scott

100% agree.

I sailed my new Viper #237 (I wish I could have got 254) last weekend for the fourth time.

I picked it up at lake Garda last June and sailed Viper Europeans, then Rondar shipped it to Florida where I sailed 2x at Sarasota and then it finally arrived home to Connecticut last week in time for our Noroton Viper Open.

I don't think that the boat presents itself any differently to the water than my trusty #54 .....but in terms of quality of construction and ease of use, #237 trumps any Viper I have ever owned (my fourth Viper).

The wedge keel fitting is a huge improvement in terms of convenience. It was as snug in the keel box on delivery day as my Viper #54 keel was without the 20 hours of customized shimming that I had to do to 54 to get a tight fit.  Even better, hoisting and lowering the keel is a joy without the worry of scratching the sides of the keel. On #54 one piece of grit on my tightly shimmed keel box could engave a vertical line on my freshly sanded keel.

Solid, stiff and down to weight with nice systems. Very happy customer

My three requests to Rondar:
1) Please supply the lowers with turnbuckles. On my knees, humbly begging for new boats to be supplied with turnbuckles on the lowers . Like all owners I just go and ahead and order lowers with turnbuckles from Gulf performance or APS.....but much as I love Craig and Debs...why?
2) The spin sheet cleats need to be higher on the tanks.
3) Can we fix the no free booze thing?
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Eddy Parker

4) either don't include any ropes or get decent stuff

Peter Beardsley

I requested that my new boat not be supplied with sheets for this reason, and at least via email, PY said this would be possible.  We'll see if/when the boat arrives in the next few weeks how that turned out. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Somers Kempe

Who you getting your lines through Peter?  Or are you sourcing all yourself?
Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Peter Beardsley

Self sourced.  I think APS does nice work and they have my specs from Boats 1 and 2 if anyone ever wants to call them and say "give me what you give Peter Beardsley for lines."  That said, you won't be running continuous sheets since I don't like 'em -- different strokes. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"