What's the smallest tow vehicle being used?

Started by scott ballard, March 24, 2016, 04:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott ballard

My submission:  2014 Subaru BRZ - zero rated tow capacity, but pulls a viper just fine  =)

Dan Tucker

Great car and combo. A man after my own heart.

My old '97 performance enhanced Saab turbo convertible Viper tow vehicle was put out to pasture a year ago. It took two rides to replace it- a '15 Explorer and an '04 Mazdaspeed Miata. SUV tow vehicle for larger keelboats and a forced induction anti-SUV. The Miata has just started down the slippery modding slope. 😉
Race it like you stole it.

Ed "Buttons" Padin, Class Administrator

2000 4-cylinder Jeep Wrangler with a tape player pulled Wild Hogs from Larchmont to Newport and back. Took it easy but it worked just fine. Only problem was that the boat was faster than the car!  BTW, it's a hoot to tow the Viper with the top down.

Buttons
Ed "Buttons" Padin
Viper 640 Class Administrator
erpadin [at] padesta [dot] com

Michelle Lee

My current SUV works well but it's getting older and I'll probably start looking for a new one in the next few years.  When I asked Dan how much the Viper plus trailer plus regatta stuff weighs so I could see what kind of towing capacity I need, his reply was "if you pack light and don't drive like an idiot, you don't need much towing capacity at all!"  Since neither of these things is true about how my team and I travel, guess I'll be looking for another big SUV. 

Peter Beardsley

I tow with my 4 cylinder subaru outback all the time, no problem.
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

John Leyland

2006 BMW 325xi wagon with a straight 6 does the trick for me.  It's taken 191 down to Long Beach a couple of times now and has no problem with the mountains out here. Thinking of something with 2 liter diesel next time around just for the gas mileage.
Viper 191 - "Moistened Bint"
Vancouver, BC

Darren Gilbert

They Rawlinson's tow their's with a 2 door honda civic hatchback.
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Matt Rowlinson

Quote from: Darren Gilbert on March 26, 2016, 08:30:54 PM
They Rawlinson's tow their's with a 2 door honda civic hatchback.

It was a 2002 SiR; it had a 2L with 5 speed manual and discs. It was a great car, but no longer in the family. It towed CAN70 up and down the North East for 8 years, and from Toronto to Charleston and back at least once, with no problem. Now we are towing with my brother's Impala.

Justin Scott

Matt - Im going to miss that Honda.
Buttons - The tape deck is the key!  Hard to find good cassettes though.

Where is that picture of the Dodge Vipers lined up towing Vipers from Houston? Its time that made the home page again!
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Justin Scott

But I'm telling you now that Kay is going to win this competition.

Paging Governor Van Valkenburgh,,,,,,,,,,
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Tim Carter

Lt Coast Gov

Dan Tucker

I COULD put a hitch on the turbo Mazdaspeed Miata... Nah, now there's an SUV for towing!

Boat, rigging, sails & trailer should be ~1100-1200 pounds. Plus whatever you load into the boat and tow vehicle.
Race it like you stole it.

scott ballard

That would definitely get you bragging rights!