Downwind - Standing on the deck

Started by Steve Gilbert, October 22, 2015, 12:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Gilbert

In many of the pictures from HPDO and NA's from light / medium air days as well as during the first day at the Great Lakes championships there are a lot of people with the forward crew standing on the deck holding the mast.

We see this now in Stars and other keelboats was wondering everyone's feedback on this technique from both the (speed and safety aspects)

Thanks
Viper #194 - Black Sheep

Peter Beardsley

We do it all the time to improve visibility (easier for forward crew to see if standing up high), get weight forward, easier to flatten the boat in a smooth way in puffs and lulls from up there with a small movement.  Haven't noticed any safety issue.  For people who sail 4-up, it'd be almost impossible to sail 4-up downwind without someone up there.

I did however hear someone kick around the idea of a 2016 rule proposal that would require feet to remain in the cockpit at all times except during emergencies.  That'd be an interesting proposal to see but it would mean that it would no longer be practical to sail 4-up, which would hurt lighter teams in a big way, so I'd be against it. 

There is already a class rule that prevents you from using the mast or shrouds to facilitate tacking or gybing.  To avoid having anyone standing on the deck from needing to come back into the cockpit, we tell anyone on our boat who is standing up there not to straighten their arms on a tack or gybe -- you want them to keep holding onto the mast for safety reasons, but it's pretty hard to have a major influence on the roll if your arms are bent (feel free to try this one on your nearest neighborhood stop sign if you don't believe me). 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Lee Shuckerow

We do stand a guy often on the foredeck in no planing conditions. Don't think it's a safety issue as everyone is wearing life jackets.

It's effective like Peter said for getting a better view of the wind and racecourse as the viper is so low to the water. Also it's excellent for that forward crew to see puffs and flatten the boat as needed so the driver and trimmer can concentrate on their jobs.

I would warn people that I've been close to protesting some high profile pros for pumping on the mast and or shrouds up high. That is not acceptable. So let's play fair and be safe.
Jackpot  #235

Steve Gilbert

Thank you for your feedback on this. Mostly on the speed part I can see (and did see it during the GL Regatta) that it was faster on the first day. Will most certainly leverage this feedback as we continue to work on boat handling and speed.
Viper #194 - Black Sheep

Lee Shuckerow

Thanks you for using the forum Steve. It would be great if more people got on here it is a great resource for everyone. This forum is one reason my brother in law Nick Ward bought a viper instead of a melges.
Jackpot  #235

Jason Hyerstay

We started doing this in summer 2015. It really works best in light to medium wind. The forward crew can even keep the jib out with a foot during gybes. In big winds, its safer to be in the hiking straps.

I agree with Lee about kinetics. Forward crew should look nice and boring up there, scanning for puffs and talking.

Jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info