Author Topic: 2015 tips for Beginners, Veterans and everyone in between  (Read 2597 times)

Lee Shuckerow

• Extremely Active
2015 tips for Beginners, Veterans and everyone in between
« on: October 20, 2015, 04:04:36 PM »
I'm looking at all the pics in the North American forum. there is some great stuff in there. I'd like to start a talk about what to do and how to get out of it after something happens. I learned another way to get out of a wipeout today by chatting with the Proper Villain guys today. That's why we have the forum to help everyone out.

Please add any tips or questions you may have
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:59:16 PM by Lee Shuckerow »
Jackpot  #235

Lee Shuckerow

• Extremely Active
Re: 2015 Lets learn together
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 04:07:17 PM »
This picture shows you just how short the rudder is. When your heel is half of this there isn't much rudder in the water. The Spinnaker trimmer is now in control of the wipeout.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:15:08 PM by Lee Shuckerow »
Jackpot  #235

Lee Shuckerow

• Extremely Active
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:26:03 PM »
Your viper Spinnaker is big and is tough to see through. if the boat ahead of you struggles getting their kite up you dig have two choices, 1) dig down below the boat in front of you. this is good and sets you up for passing on a gybe further down the leg. 2) if they are really slow go over them but account for your spin and them turning up. I've seen pileup of wiped out boats as each one tries to go over each other.
Jackpot  #235

Lee Shuckerow

• Extremely Active
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 04:39:44 PM »
So you wiped out, we've all done it. I've been on Jackpots keel a number of times, that is a last resort.
In this pic Steve has been hit with an enormous puff and wiped out (right Steve?). they are doing things right have people on the high side and the forward crew has dropped the halyard 10 feet. Some people say less some people say more but in my opinion it goes out as far as it wants to as there is a lot of load.
It looks like Steve's jib is still on and pulling and the main looks like GNAV needs to be released some and hopefully the main sheet is out. Now you need to HIKE this boat back on to its feet.
The Proper Villain guys let me know they learned a trick instead of dropping the halyard. They took it upon themselves to test this theory out by purposefully wiping out and giving it a try.
Don't drop the halyard. Next pull the windward spin sheet to weather until the kite releases the pressure. (they say the wipeout will get worse before it gets better but it works)
Jackpot  #235

Lee Shuckerow

• Extremely Active
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »
I don't have a pic but a big rule is don't let the boat turtle. If you find the mast in the water or parallel to the water you must not stand on the lower combing (low side). Fastest way to turtle is to stand on the low side and hold onto the hiking straps.
If you find yourself on the low side you have to climb, I don't recommend jumping off the boat but it is an option I guess.
If you jump on the keel it is slippery and a lot further away then you think....
if you can keep your feet in the hiking straps and your on the high side lean back and hike and hopefully your crew has released all the sheets on your sails.

the bottom line is you shouldn't get to this point but stuff happens, no one should ever go to the lowside and everyone should have their feet in the hiking straps with working sheets in hand when its breeze on.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:00:11 PM by Lee Shuckerow »
Jackpot  #235

Jason Hyerstay

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
  • Streetwise - Viper 640 #195
    • Lake Champlain Yacht Club
Re: 2015 tips for Beginners, Veterans and everyone in between
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 06:15:32 PM »
The other tip we got from Jackpot last weekend was to have the forward crew grab the spinnaker clew or the sheet and pull down hard for a second or two when initiating a gybe. This keeps the spinnaker down during the gybe and prevents it filling from top to bottom before it is trimmed. Once we started doing this, our confidence in big wind gybes went way up, and we never wiped out again.

Big props to Brad and the Jackpot crew for sharing all their tips!

Jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, http://lcyc.info/racing/viper_640

Lee Shuckerow

• Extremely Active
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
Glad you were able to get that figured out Jason. That is one of the key steps of a blowthrough gybe, skiff gybe or safety gybe. Different names, same technique.
Jackpot  #235

Peter Beardsley

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 02:29:21 PM »
The move that Jason refers to is sometimes known as "The Spike".  Very effective as Lee notes for rotating the head. 

The other way of doing a blow-through gybe is what we frequently do that we call "The Stealth" (although the video below telegraphs the gybe since we're in open water not trying to gybe on anyone or having them avoid gybing on us -- otherwise the middle crew wouldn't have stood up pre-gybe to announce to the entire world that we're about to gybe) -- good video though of what this looks like when the forward trimmer moves the jib through and middle crew handles both kite sheets, timing, etc.  https://youtu.be/LXP6O28Ji9c?t=45s
Larchmont YC Fleet
Viper 269 "Great Scott!"
Formerly Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Lee Shuckerow

• Extremely Active
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 05:13:50 PM »
Beautiful Peter. That's an excellent video.
Jackpot  #235