Viper Mark 3 trailer younger height and ball size

Started by Dave Evans, October 13, 2015, 03:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Evans

Hello,

I will finally be picking up Viper #104 in Long Beach. I have a new car which I need to set up for this trailer. Does anyone know the trailer tongue HEIGHT and BALL SIZE for a Mark 3 trailer?  This is the one with a dolly arrangement and I seem to recall it has fairly small tires. I jus bought a car with a twelve inch high ( to bottom) trailer socket. Help much appreciated on this kind of boring question;-).

Best regards,

David
Viper #104 "High Pressure"
206-940-9780
[email protected]

Tim Carter

it's 50mm..    I pulled it a LONG WAY on a 1 7/8".   The 1 7/8 will rattle a bit, throw a greasy piece of t shirt in there to take up the slack.

Are you going to sail Turkey Day @ ABYC??   you should..  :)
Lt Coast Gov

Dave Evans

Thanks Tim! I think I read the height is 15" so a atraight ball shaft inverted should be close to level. I used to drive a truck where this question was more of an issue.

I'd love to sail T'day if life would quit getting in the way. I will definitely be on the line at Az's B'day regatta.

Dave

Dan Tucker

Race it like you stole it.

Dave Evans

Dan,

I appreciate the lead on finding a 50mm trailer ball. My problem then is the 2" X 2" stock shanks come with a 1" hole. I do need to have a much longer shank made up for launching so I could have the welder close the hole and make up one for long haul and another for launching.

Thanks,

Dave

Tim Carter

Lt Coast Gov

Dave Evans

The 50mm balls have a 3/4" diameter bolt  and the 2"X2" receiver shanks come with a 1" hole, so a shim will be needed or the hole has to the welded closed.

I did find a Curt 14"( 2" X 2") extension so I don't have to back my car as far down the ramp

Dan Tucker

FYI, there are shank size adapters available from eTrailer.
Race it like you stole it.

RobertMuller

Also... Be prepared to buy a bow roller if you launch it from a ramp that is at all steep. When launching and hauling the bow can hit the cross bar and set bolts for the mast support.  I bought an 8" one and u-bolts from Amazon and mounted it on the forward cross piece.  It will block the dolly nose from rolling back but I don't use it as a dolly since we don't have a usable lift.

Robert
Formerly - Callsign VIPER #181