Poll

How many regattas in a year does the Great Lakes fleet want to have?

One a month spread out from spring to fall
7 (87.5%)
3 regattas between Spring summer and fall
0 (0%)
Two
0 (0%)
East and west Great Lakes circuits consisting of more regattas
1 (12.5%)
East and west Great Lakes circuits consisting of fewer regattas
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: December 19, 2015, 05:55:21 PM

Author Topic: 2016 GL Events  (Read 7730 times)

Nick Ward

• Class Member
  • Active
    • Proper Villain
2016 GL Events
« on: October 05, 2015, 01:54:31 PM »
It is early I know, but what do we think the 2016 schedule will look like?
Proper Villain #165

Darren Gilbert

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
Re: 2016 GL Events
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »
Hi Nick,

Thanks for sending this out, I was actually thinking about the same thing this morning.  With Lake Champlain now done, we should start thinking about what the 2016 season would look like. 2015 was a fantastic season with one design events in Detroit, Chicago, Ottawa, Sarnia, and Lake Champlain.  We want to keep the momentum up!

With more boats and increased activity on the Great Lakes, I'd like to setup a group from each 'cluster' within the region to assist with planning regattas.  I'm thinking Lake Champlain, Ottawa/Kingston/Montreal, Toronto/Hamilton, Sarnia/Detroit, Chicago.  Do I have any volunteers?  How about we target an on-line meeting in November to discuss 2016 regattas and then present them to the group.

Thanks again everyone for participating in the 2015 GL season.  I'm already pumped for 2016!

Cheers!
Darren
Hull #194 'BLACK SHEEP'
Join the Great Lakes Facebook Group @ https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/510430029009814/

Steve Conger

• Class Member
  • Active
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:38:42 AM »
I feel the scheduled regattas in 2015 were spread out well throughout the season (june is always busy) and doesn't need a huge adjustment in my opinion.  I will help organize the Detroit regatta at Crescent.  The Bayview One Design is usually the last weekend in May, three days of racing. Is this still a good option?
43 zigzag

Nick Ward

• Class Member
  • Active
    • Proper Villain
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 09:55:59 AM »
I will be racing the T10 at BOD again..  only so many events for the big girl!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:20:29 AM by Nick Ward »
Proper Villain #165

Jason Hyerstay

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
  • Streetwise - Viper 640 #195
    • Lake Champlain Yacht Club
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 01:39:40 PM »
The Lake Champlain Viper 640 Regatta will almost surely be September 24-25, 2016.
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, http://lcyc.info/racing/viper_640

Lee Shuckerow

• Extremely Active
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 09:44:51 PM »
We should definitely hit Detroit, Ottawa and Chicago, Sarnia is a good location, need to try to get one in or around Toronto, lake Champlain is good for getting some east coast boats, not sure about for the Great Lakes championship though.

We should think about some kind of Great Lakes region trophy and some qualifications for it, something like EFG series.
Jackpot  #235

Darren Gilbert

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 02:05:28 PM »
So for the 2016 season I've made the list of possible locations, regattas, and dates (And local organizer?).  Feel free to correct me if I have any dates wrong?

Detroit - BOD's (May 27/28/29).  STEVE CONGER
- The GL Fleet has been doing this event for the past 5 years or more. 
- 2015 had 8 boats.
- Sail out of Crescent.  Very close to race course.  Easy club to launch at.
- In the past we have done both 2 and 3 days of sailing.  I would suggest a 3 day event.
- There are 6 boats reasonably close (Gilbert, Czoykowski, Conger, Kiteley, Ward, Suckerow).
- Fun event with lots of social activities after.

Chicago - Hobelman Regatta (Date???).  Or should we look at doing another event?  NEED VOLUNTEER WITH NO KOFSKI
- In the past we have sailed the Chicago NOODS and the Gin Hobelman Regatta.
- 2013 & 2015 we sailed out of Corinthian.  2014 we sailed out of Chicago YC.  I would suggest sailing out of Corinthian.
- There are 3 Local Vipers (Bowker, Kofski (???) and #41).  Tom Peterson (still sailing?) is close as well.
- Last year we had 6 Vipers race.
- Sailing out of Corinthian is a good venue for Vipers.  Chicago YC does not have a ramp or a hoist.
- Noods are expensive, Hobelman is not.

Ottawa - NOD's (June 18/19???) CHAPMAN/SCHUTE?
- Vipers retuned to the NOD's in 2014 and sailed again in 2015 with 7 boats participating.
- There are now 4 local vipers in Ottawa, plus 2 in Montreal and 1 in Kingston. 
- This has always been an inexpensive 2 day event.
- Nepean is a fantastic club for Vipers with multiple hoists and ramps.
- Social festivities after racing include live music, a great dinner on Saturday night, and patio drinks.
- Inexpensive event

Sarnia - SOD's (Late August again?)  BRAD BOSTON?
- It would be better if we could assist the Boston's and commit as a fleet to participate in this regatta.
- Last year it was left to the last minute and the Boston's still put together a great event.  Just imagine what they could do if we gave them a little more time!
- Inexpensive event

Lake Champlain - Viper Regatta (September 24-25)  JASON HYERSTAY
- I heard great things about this event this year.
- Draws some of the east coast boats.
- There are 4-5 local boats at Lake Champlain
- Inexpensive event

Other Locations?  (do we add events or not)
TORONTO - It would be nice to get an event going in Toronto/Hamilton or even Buffalo area.  We have done the May ABYC event in the past but that might conflict with or be too close to the BODs.  What other options are available Toronto people (Hennessey, Rowlinsons, Lamen)?

CHICAGO - We have talked in the past about trying to promote Chicago as a Viper Hotspot.  Any ideas on how to move forward with this?  Now that Nick is gone we need local support.

KINGSTON - The fleet has sailed CORK a few times but it was decided that the entry fee was too expensive to continue in 2015.  Is there another regatta that we can discuss?

Points of Conversation:
SCHEDULE - We want to continue to spread out regattas so they don't compete with each other.  2015 was successful in that given we had BODs in late May, Nepean Mid/Late June, Hobelman Mid/Late July, Sarnia Late August, and Lake Champlain Late September.

LOCAL REPS - For success to continue we need the local boats to organize and promote their regatta.  As a group I feel we did a pretty good job of this in 2015 and having it continue to for 2016 is key.  Get involved!

GEOGRAPHY - This is our number one challenge on the great lakes and the one variable we can't change.  The boats are spread out in clusters.  The best way to drive participation at your local regatta is to travel to other regattas. 

ANNUAL AWARDS - We have handed out the Canadian Champs (2015 in Sarnia) and the Great Lakes Champs (2015 in Lake Champlain, 2014 at CORK) the past few years within the GL's.  What regatta(s) should we pick this year to issue the awards at?  We have also discussed in the past an 'Overall Award' for the combined results from the region.  We think this would help drive boats to events.  I think this is a good point for discussion and look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

NEW OWNERS/BOATS FOR SALE - We have seen a lot boats in our fleet change hands and also some added in 2015.  150 was sold to Adrian Lamen in Hamilton.  165 as sold to Nick Ward in Port Huron.  87 was sold to James Colburn in Kingston.  22 was sold to Parker Hoblin in Vermont.  40 was sold to John Czoykowski in Detroit.  52 was sold to Jean-Marc Doucet in Montreal.  58 was brought back to the GL by Andrew Kiteley.  190 was just purchased by Alex Begunov in Ottawa.  211 was bought by Steve Chapman in Ottawa.  235 is the new Jackpot (X.0) in Sarnia/Detroit.  And finally 231 was brought up to the area by Ed Furry.  Within the GL region we currently have 3 boats for sale.  #55 in Chicago is looking for a new home with Nick Kofski moving to the west coast and not taking his boat with him.  We would love to see this boat stay in the area, possibly in Chicago to sail with the other boats in there.  #77 is for sale on Lake Champlain with Brad Dumas selling.  #75 is for sale in Montreal but only for a local owner to help grow that fleet there. I know of one more boat that might be for sale, if you know of a prospective owner please contact me for details.  We want to get boats into the hands of people who are going to sail them.  So if you know of someone, please encourage them to go for a sail on a viper and by all means direct them to this forum and also our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/510430029009814/?fref=ts).  You can also have them contact me for more information.

Please be active in the discussion for 2016.  We need the fleet as a whole to participate and we can build on the success we had in 2015.

Cheers!
Darren

Hull #194 'BLACK SHEEP'
Join the Great Lakes Facebook Group @ https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/510430029009814/

Lee Shuckerow

• Extremely Active
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 03:05:46 PM »
Wow intense email. All very good points and from a writer of your magnitude very well laid out.

I like all of the regattas we did last year, definitely would like one around Toronto if we can fit it in our timeline. We currently have separate fleets essentially showing up for the different regattas so minimizing the total amount of regattas overall like we did the last couple years is good. If anyone has a good regatta for the viper please let us know.

I would like to see an overall Great Lakes series as you are saying. If we have five regattas you may need to show up to three or four of them for the overall. Easy way to do it is high point system getting points for each boat you beat. That puts pressure on people to go to the more popular regattas for a chance at higher points, hopefully driving up total number of boats. We need to start getting ten boats or more at regattas to attract more people into the class.

Also if anyone has any contact info for John Czoykowski viper number 40 in Detroit. Never met him or seen his boat leave the dock.

Lee Shuckerow
586-292-9281
Shuckelectric@gmail.com
Jackpot  #235

Sail22

• Active
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 08:02:19 PM »
Here is what I wrote in the email -

Thanks for the email. Without time to read fully year I can give some input. First 231 is for sale. That is good news as Rondar owns it and wants to flip it so I can get a new demo boat. So if anyone is interested it is for sale with out without sails. I need sails so I would rather have you get a set from Brad that are new. I think in Chicago we should aim for the NOOD. It will be out of Belmont so easy to launch, dock, etc. Parking might be pay but most likely free. It was for Verve Cup. Great location to sail out of and would have a course with only the J/70's. Verve Cup is another good event. Two days out of Belmont. Had 4 Vipers this year and mostly just J/70's so lots of races. Free beer and pretty cheap entry. Sam House raced 231 in that event and had a blast. He will be in Milwaukee which could be another venue to host an event. Plus a great place to expand as there are V15's which seem to be good feeder boats for the Viper. Look at Larchmont.

As for the rest of the events I think we need to space them out as much as possible. Hard to get multiple weekends in a row. Maybe have a East and West Circuit since we cover a large area. I can represent the Chicago area. We could even run an event in Culver if that makes more sense. Much cheaper and great lake for small boats.

I will read more tonight and see what everyone else is saying.

Not everyone can travel elsewhere and I have to pick my battles with other fleets. I will chose ones in my territory first. Just smart business. I think we split the Great Lakes and try to keep both sections clear of conflicts but not get caught up if it happens. Spread out as much as possible. Say one a month.

West Circuit - Detroit, Sarnia, Chicago and Milwaukee. If we think we need to keep things cheaper than Chicago we could run one in Culver. We have a great inland lake and easy to get some housing. Camping is an option too both in tents or parking for RV's. We have houses to split for reasonable amount or on the lake for a lot of money if people want that. A couple hotels and B&B's, plus Sail22 is headquartered here. I am Commodore next year so have some pull at the club. In the summer we can do it about any time. Have to trailer launch but fresh water and clean.

East would be Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Vermont, Kingston and add the NY Finger Lakes.

We will support what we can. Have two series winners and then one big winner. I think planning now is important and we can get some things to pass around at the winter events.

Later,

Ed

Tom Peterson

• Active
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 09:12:09 AM »
I am definitely planning on sailing next year or the boat needs to go. The idea of having a east and west makes sense. Traveling from my location to the eastern part of the great lakes on a weekend just won't work. Detroit, Sarnia and Chicago are good locations for me. I will also throw out that I could certainly help organize something out of Milwaukee if Chicago doesn't work out. My club (South Shore) is a great sailing venue and would be cost effective for everyone.
Tom
Viper #106 "Widespread Panic"

Sail22

• Active
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 11:01:33 PM »
It looks like I can get some great sponsors for a Western GL Circuit. This is what I have it looking like.

Detroit - BOD - End of May
Chicago - NOOD or Verve Cup - June or August
Sarnia - August?
Milwaukee - September?

Sponsors would be Sail22, Goose Island Beer, Mammoth Distillery and will be working on getting a Rope Package to award and a gear company to award. Maybe get Doyle Boston to pitch in something too. Open for any other sponsors.

The event would have normal awards if we are tagging on. We can then host a gathering or party for the beer, booze, etc. Awards for the Rope, Gear, etc. would go to a team that does all of the events and will be at random. This should encourage more teams to travel. Four events fairly close make sense and easy for teams to focus on these events.

Let me know thoughts. We can get a poster going and work on some PR so when teams go south we can promote this series.

Please comment and if this works I can move forward with getting everything lined up so we can promote all winter.

Later,

Ed Furry
Sail22, LLC

Nick Ward

• Class Member
  • Active
    • Proper Villain
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 07:56:12 AM »
BYC BOD will probably be the first week of June based on Memorial Day this year.
Proper Villain #165

Steve Chapman

• Class Member
  • Active
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 05:29:30 AM »
Lots of talk from the west and little from us in the east....time to chuck my 2 cents worth in...

Thanks to Darren for his great opener - it takes time to put this together. This is my third year, so I now appreciate how much effort it takes to get everyone together!

My sense is that we should have two circuits, east and west, with one major regatta for our GL Championship which hopefully everyone will aim to attend. I like most of Ed's input - try not to overlap the events but if they do, no sweat... Ideally, I would suggest 4 or 5 events in the east, (Montreal, Ottawa, Kingston, Lake Champlain and hopefully one in Toronto). Short travel time is important (it takes 12 hrs for me to drive to Chicago) so even though I am known to travel it gets harder to commit. We need to make it easy for everyone to attend one regatta a month.

The west looks good (BOD Detroit, Chicago, Sarnia and Milwaukee) as a circuit.

If we pick different weekends for the east, I would hope we can get Montreal (May), Ottawa (June), Toronto (July) and Kingston (late August) finishing up with Lake Champlain (Sept). Vipers are also welcome early August at the National Capital Regatta at Britannia Yacht Club in Ottawa.

I want to engage the Montreal sailors to see when and where we can host an event, but we want to see if we can also have a couple of demo boats there (Rondar and Sail22 if possible) as well as at a Toronto event if we can get one organized.

If we can put this schedule together, it would only remain to decide which event is the  Great Lakes Championship, which I would like to see happen late in the season. To encourage the growth of the Canadian fleet I would also like to see one of the Canadian regattas designated as the Canadian Open Championship.

Steve Chapman
Steve Chapman
Oshunmare
Viper #211
Ottawa - Great Lakes Region

Lee Shuckerow

• Extremely Active
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 11:54:02 AM »
After the holiday season we will get back to hashing out an appropriate schedule for the great lakes region. please be involved and we would all like to see 10 plus boats at each regatta, hopefully we make it happen with a good schedule.
Jackpot  #235

Sail22

• Active
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 08:25:08 AM »
Hey GL Viper sailors. Here is what I am working on to help get a great circuit in the midwest. I have some meetings soon and will get more as we get the schedule hashed out.

I have Goose Island Brewery committed to sponsoring 4 events with a case of beer for each boat attending. Working on a new Distillery to title sponsor and also give gear for the events and a overall Trophy. Sail22 will commit with gear and support. Working with a sailing clothing company to donate at random gear for a whole team. Must compete in all events to qualify. Also working with a Rope company to award a teams with a new rope package to a team that also competes in all events. Maybe we can get Doyle-Boston to donate something too.

We want to have everything in place for Miami if not sooner.

Events -

BOD - Detroit
Chicago Event - NOOD or Verve Cup
Sarnia -
Fourth Location - Maybe Milwaukee but could look into Torch Lake or another Michigan spot like Muskegon.

Let me know thoughts but we can easily make this happen. Feel free to post here or email me direct.

Later,

Ed

Ed Furry
Sail22, LLC
ed@sail22.com