Pole length measurment for Bennett boats

Started by Macho Slavich, September 16, 2015, 02:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macho Slavich

I have hull 25 now and was looking at measurements of rig etc...and I wonder is the same length of pole 190cm for Bennett hulls as I remember reading some head stay anchor point differences and wonder what the length was for the 69 and earlier hulls...

Tim Carter

Pole length is set in rules as 190cm from headstay pin on all Vipers.

"4.10 The Sprit shall be made of carbon, complying with Class approved specifications and supplied by a Class approved builder. The extended length from the center of the headstay pin to the bearing point of the tack line shall not exceed 190 cm"
Lt Coast Gov

Ben Steinberg

Quote from: Macho Slavich on September 16, 2015, 02:49:35 PM
I have hull 25 now and was looking at measurements of rig etc...and I wonder is the same length of pole 190cm for Bennett hulls as I remember reading some head stay anchor point differences and wonder what the length was for the 69 and earlier hulls...

Head stay pin is .75 " aft on older boats as stated in rondar tuning guide.  This would suggest that pole extension should have this measurement added to it.  In all likelihood this is the full length of the pole if the pole in your boat is original. 

Dave Nickerson

I'm going to differ with my friend Ben on this one.  Please measure extension per the class rules.  Pole extension relative to the position of the rig will be the same in both versions.
Dave Nickerson
TC chair
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Darren Gilbert

Sorry, a little off topic here but does anyone know why the builder(s) have changed the headstay pin location on the new boats vs. the old boats?
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Tim Carter

That happend about 10yrs ago...   I may be wrong, but possibly to keep the headstay a little further from the throat for the sets / douses.
Lt Coast Gov

Dave Nickerson

Ditto.  Don't know.  From before when most of us were in the class.  Only impacts a limited number of boats and is easily addressed from a performance perspective with tuning.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Ben Steinberg

If you have an old boat your are getting cheated out of .75"

Tim Carter

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog...

Actually you are not shorted in any way..   The luff of the kite has the same "slot" if you will in front of the jib with any flavor of Viper.  And that's what is being controlled.
Lt Coast Gov

Paul Zimmerman

on the old boats you lose even more length as the tack comes out of the top of the pole, set back maybe .75"  And the newer poles the tack exits from the end of the pole.
There was no reasoning given at the time to move the headstay fitting, it just happened.

Dave Nickerson

Measurement is to the tack line bearing point so easy to compensate for the old pole design and get to the max dimension.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT