Author Topic: 2009 Racing in Marblehead  (Read 3668 times)

Dan Tucker

• Administrator
  • Extremely Active
    • Maureen's Paralympic News
2009 Racing in Marblehead
« on: November 06, 2008, 01:40:32 PM »
Hi all,

As I was impressed into duty as the Marblehead fleet captain, I went to an MRA planning meeting last night. The next one will be in February, and we need to let MRA know about any events we want to hold and any changes we'd like them to make. Does anyone have any feedback that you'd like me to pass along to MRA? If so, please let me know!

Currently, we're expecting Saturday racing to be much the same as last year. I'd REALLY like to see some more consistent numbers of boats on the line on Saturday. We had 12 Vipers registered in MRA last season, and I'd like to see us consistently get 8-10 boats on the line. One thing that really helped participation in MRA for the J/24 fleet was to have a Fleet Championship scored within MRA -basically counting every other weekend for the fleet prize. This lets the super hardcore racers get out every week, while taking the pressure off of those with family conflicts etc. How do you all feel about Vipers doing the same?

Also, there was some talk late in the 2008 season about reviving weeknight Viper racing. I learned that there is a Tuesday night event run by the Eastern YC sailing coach for Lasers, that pulls 10-16 boats. It's a bit less formal, with on and off the water coaching with video, 3 minute dinghy starts, tacking, gybing and starting drills, etc, but is actually scored as a series. There may be intentionally skewed starting lines and courses, laggers may be allowed to turn and rejoin the leaders, whatever... Start time is 6:00 PM. This sounds fantastic and is highly appealing to me. Vipers would be welcomed, but we would need one of our EYC Viperers to help us get it going as we'd be utilizing the EYC pro. This sort of college style racing and coaching could really help each of us improve our sailing and stay ahead of those pesky out-of-town newbie Viperers!  ;)  (just kidding, I love how the class is growing and getting better). How many would be interested in joining this game?

Finally, we need to have a fall fleet party! I'm thinking of either Sunday Nov 23 or 30, I'll host it at my home in Marblehead. Preferences for the date?

Let's use our new turf here to has out some of these issues!

Dan Tucker
Race it like you stole it.

Fletcher

• Administrator
  • Active
    • Altolus Digital
Re: 2009 Racing in Marblehead
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 10:41:12 PM »
Alternating weekends which count for a Viper fleet prize sounds like a great idea!

I'd also be in favor of having 3-4 weekends throughout the season which compromise a series. Having a social event tied in with each event would make them even more attractive. Would this be easier for people with family commitments?
Viper #?!?! SCORCHED

Dan Tucker

• Administrator
  • Extremely Active
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:11:43 PM »
That's a good idea Fletch, I like it. I think there will be some 2 day MRA things we can piggy back on.

Dan

Greg Jackson

• Class Member
  • Extremely Active
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 04:04:08 PM »
Dan and Chip,

It was a pleasure meeting you guys. Thanks for taking the time to meet an Arizona vipperer and answer all my questions!

By the way The Sail Loft was a great place to meet, with the Viper lore and all. My only problem was the first step out the door (icy = splat!) and I'm used to Arizona drive times, not MA traveling.

I hope to be able to join you in some summer sailing out there.

Thanks again for meeting us!

Greg
USA 46
heroin

P.S. Dan, Chrisann said to say hello to your wife. You have a great family.

Dan Tucker

• Administrator
  • Extremely Active
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 09:30:23 PM »
Greg,

Nice to meet both of you too. Happy to share whatever we could.

As we said, we'll work on finding a boat for you for Marblehead NOOD, if you want.

And thanks!

Dan