Broken Carbon Rig

Started by Darren Gilbert, August 26, 2015, 02:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Gilbert

Hi Everyone.

I have a broken carbon rig that I'm not sure what to do with.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

And No Lee..."Stripper Pole" is not high on my list.

Is it worth anything to anyone?
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Fletcher

how much is left? It could make a killer flagpole.
Viper 207 Back in Business

Olaf Bleck

Curious what happened to it...?

Depending on where and how it broke, you could maybe splice it, the same way the top and bottom half are spliced, with an insert tube.  It's kind of a long shot... but it's a ~$4000 mast.

I imagine a piece of said tube could be wrangled out of the spar manufacturer.  Super Spars is it?  I forget.
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Darren Gilbert

It's broken right in half at the spreaders. I could get it spliced together but that would be an added expense. I would also need a new spreader bracket and new lowers.

I'm not sure I want to put money into that project.
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Darren Gilbert on August 26, 2015, 08:55:12 PM

It's broken right in half at the spreaders. I could get it spliced together but that would be an added expense. I would also need a new spreader bracket and new lowers.

I'm not sure I want to put money into that project.

Well, it's either that or what, about $4000 for the new spar with some stuff installed?

If you can get a piece of the insert/splice tube, it's probably a DIY job, particularly if it's a pretty clean break.  Maybe post a pic.  Is your mast glued or does it come apart?

Did you get an inversion going downwind in heavy air?

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Doug Mroz

Its a flag pole now which is pretty cool!

Lee Shuckerow

We had our old broken mast fixed by Tony Darren. If we didn't do a trade I think it was roughly 1800 to repair. Looks great though.

More info Darren already got his mast replaced by insurance so he's not in need of a mast yet. He stuck her in the mud in Chi Town last summer. May have been slightly breezy
Jackpot  #235