raising the Keel

Started by Paul Gillard, April 15, 2007, 05:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Gillard

From  what I gather most throw the jib halyard over the spreaders and use that with a purchase to raise the centreboard/keel. With the Ali masts what is wrong with using the main halyard? Surely the mast tip is strong enough?

Alan#38

I've heard it's safer to throw a couple of wraps around the mast with the halyard.  I'm going to continue doing this because there seems to be alot of strain on the vang when you pull the keel.  On the other hand, there would be much less strain pulling from straight above.

Justin Scott

Quote from: paulg on April 15, 2007, 05:43:35 AM
From  what I gather most throw the jib halyard over the spreaders and use that with a purchase to raise the centreboard/keel. With the Ali masts what is wrong with using the main halyard? Surely the mast tip is strong enough?

NOT OVER THE SPREADERS. Just take the jib halyard and go once round the mast below the spreaders, so the load is pulling from the stiffest section of the mast.
It works to go from the main halyard without going round the mast.....most have just got in the habit of using the jib halyard. It works well. However dont try and use the spreaders to support your keel.
The new carbon masts have a tang immediately below the spreader where you can have a line to haul the keel up as you sail in....good for the ramp launchers.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee