Bermuda 2016 North Americans

Started by Douglas De Couto, March 13, 2015, 02:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Broszkowski

Peter I don't know why they told you this . Because this is what they sent me. See attached.
Peter Broszkowski
Nyack Boat Club
USA 193

Somers Kempe

Hello Viper Competitors,

A very important update regarding booking your Viper from Bermuda to USA following the International Championships this November.

The event is now collecting all the required information from all competitors and sorting and then forwarding it onto Bermuda Forwarders who will make the bookings with the required agents/shipping lines.  Masterpiece International will act as your USA Customs Broker and collect payments.  The billing will automatically reflect the return shipping voucher for those that have them.

So, I need everyone shipping a boat back to the USA to fill in the attached PDF and send it back to me – [email protected].  If you do not do this prior to arriving in Bermuda, I will either hunt you down at registration, or just keep your boat (just kidding).

All the information regarding shipping schedules are included in the PDF, but if you have any questions please email them to me.

If you wish to leave your boat in Bermuda with mast up storage at the RHADC following the event and come back and take part in weekend racing thoughout the winter (Jan, Feb) then please let me know of your interest.

Cheers,
Somers
Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Somers Kempe

If anyone is struggling with the insurance side of things then please contact Bart Lewis at BFM here in Bermuda.  His email is [email protected]
Their website is www.bfm.bm and they are located right next to the RBYC in town. 
He should be able to help with your insurance needs - let him know you are a visitor for the Viper International Championships.

Cheers,
Somers

Peter Broszkowski

Viper congestion in Newark..
Peter Broszkowski
Nyack Boat Club
USA 193

Peter Beardsley

Quote from: Peter Broszkowski on October 19, 2016, 03:37:05 PM
Viper congestion in Newark..
A little bit like this from earlier today?
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Peter Broszkowski

Yeah - the receiving guy asked me - what is your name? Peter?. Were you here already earlier today.?
Peter Broszkowski
Nyack Boat Club
USA 193

Travis Yates

For those of you sending your boats to Bermuda and wanting/planning on sending them on down to Sarasota.....

I confirmed a shipping deal today for all those that are planning on sending your boats directly from Bermuda to Sarasota in December, in time for the first winter series event on Dec 17/18th.

The one-way delivery between Fernandina Beach and Sarasota will be $250 each boat from the port to my office (or the Sailing Squadron). The boats will be coming off of Voyage 1074 (arriving the 10th of December) if you want them to make it to the Winter Series. I will handle all the transport logistics (based on your boat being cleared by customs) and pay the driver as each boat is delivered, owners can just send me a check or hand me cash in December.

Please email me ([email protected]) if you want to be in on this deal, the shipper I am working with is Chris Gonzales, who has moved many of the classes boats in the past and dropped one NE boat off at my office today.
Sidewinder
USA #244
Sarasota Sailing Squadron

Peter Beardsley

FYI, I know a lot of people who are available to crew in Bermuda (who are located in the US), some on short notice.  If anyone has lost someone due to a last minute conflict, please let me know.
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Somers Kempe

Here is the list of boat locations between the two clubs in Bermuda, Royal Bermuda Yacht Club and Royal Hamilton Amateur Dinghy Club.  The allocation of boats to the different clubs has been done with many factors considered, but the main factor has been related to storage and space requirements.  We are not able to change this list as the logistical requirements do not allow this.  Thank you for your understanding, we look forward to seeing you all in Bermuda.
39   Cole Constantineau   RHADC
55   Brian Johansen   RHADC
73   Local   RBYC
116   Rondar Race Boats (40' Container)   RBYC
117   Ron Shute (w/CAN211)   RHADC
118   Tim Carter   RHADC
118   Rondar Race Boats (40' Container)   RBYC
125   Local   RBYC
155   Colin Santangelo   RBYC
156   Local   RBYC
159   George Peter Bauer   RHADC
162   Robert J. Matthews   RBYC
163   Ted Ferrarone   RHADC
177   Gabe Jostrom   RBYC
179   Byron LaMotte   RBYC
183   Dan Tucker   RBYC
191   John Leyland   RHADC
193   Piotr Broszkowski   RHADC
202   Michelle Lee   RHADC
207   Fletcher Boland   RBYC
208   Dave Nickerson   RBYC
211   Steve Chapman (w/CAN117)   RHADC
213   Warren Costikyan   RBYC
215   Rondar Race Boats (40' Container)   RBYC
216   Rondar Race Boats (40' Container)   RBYC
218   Rondar Race Boats (40' Container)   RBYC
220   Steve Taylor (w/ USA239)   RHADC
230   Mark M Wheeler   RHADC
232   Local   RBYC
233   Local   RBYC
235   Brad Boston, Lee Schuckerow   RBYC
237   Justin Scott   RBYC
239   Martin Casey (w/ AUS220)   RHADC
240   Local   RBYC
244   Travis Yates   RBYC
246   Craig Wilusz   RHADC
247   Geoffrey Fargo   RHADC
253   Zeke Horowitz   RHADC
255   Eddy Parker CPA GCMA   RBYC
259   Rondar Race Boats (40' Container)   RBYC
260   Rondar Race Boats (40' Container)   RBYC
262   Somers Kempe (40' Container)   RBYC
269   Peter Beardsley & Jay Rhame   RHADC

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on October 18, 2016, 05:23:01 PM
Still would love to see / hear how the Aussies are doing the container loading and unloading in case we all have to deal with it for a World Championship Down Under in 2020 or 2022.
I think Rod & the Perth lads took video when loading containers in Garda last year?

Mr. Young has about 200 Vipers/50 containers worth of experience with this... We can provide detailed instructions as needed. The main thing is to have a couple of our canting racks for the trailers, which we use to ship the boats in the first place.

I've unpacked enough to know that it's not rocket science, though it will be a bit unnerving to load & unload the upper boats for those who haven't done it before.
Race it like you stole it.

Justin Scott

Travis and I have our canting rack.......we're locked and loaded.....where are we going next?
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Brad Boston

Less than a week and Team Jackpot will be relaxing in Bermuda!! Can't wait to sail a Viper there in hopefully perfect conditions..
See you all there Friday night.

Brad Boston
Jackpot 235

Tom Miller

We're discussing daily logistics for going back and forth to the boat each day and came up with an unasked question. With ~30 boats sailing out of RHADC and pretty much everyone arriving by scooter, taxi, or walking, has there been any arrangements made for a secure place for competitors to store their gear while we are on the water? Normally, everything would just get left inside a locked car, but since none of us will have cars in Bermuda, we are going to need somewhere to leave a bag with a change of clothes, wallets, phones, etc.

Somers, maybe you have an answer for this.

Somers Kempe

Hi Tom,

Your concerns were answered in an email to competitors this evening.  I have pasted below if you have not received it.

Dear Competitors,

A few updates in this email, some you have seen before and some your haven't.  Please read to the end.

Trailering/Outbound Shipping

Reminder – please submit the Outbound shipping form back to Somers so we can manage bookings of your Viper back to the USA.  We are still missing a few people, and by filling in and returning to me now, you will save time at registration.  Ensure you log on to Yacht Scoring and pay for the trailering fee, otherwise your boat will not go anywhere.  If you have sent in a form and did not receive a reply from me, please email me again.

Social Packages

We have some nice things lined up on the Social side including a great cocktail reception and dinner on the Thursday night at RBYC sponsored by Goslings and Gubinelli.  Each boat entry gets one Social package ticket free, additional packages are $60 each.  Log on to Yacht Scoring to complete your purchase.

Here is the tentative schedule for competitors to help you plan your week.  Please note that for race times, the NoR/SI's and any Amendments take precedent over this schedule:
Date   Time   Item   Location

Fri, Nov 11th
1000   Crane Service   RHADC Tennis Courts

Sat, Nov 12th
1000   Boat Park and Club Bar Open   RHADC / RBYC
   1400-1700   Early Registration   RBYC
   1400-1700   Crane Service Open   Barrs Bay Park
   1600   Race Management Team Meeting   RBYC
   1600   Measurement TC Meeting   RBYC

Sun, Nov 13th
0930   Pre-regatta Skipper Briefing   RHADC - Upper Terrace
   930-1130   Crane Service Open   Barrs Bay Park
   1155   Racing - 1st Warning   RHADC - Dockside Patio
   1600-2000   Post Racing Debrief   RHADC - Upper Terrace

Mon, Nov 14th   1100-1600   Pre-regatta Racing   Great Sound
   1600-1700   Crane Service Open   Barrs Bay Park
   1600-2000   Post Racing Debrief   RHADC - Upper Terrace
       * Prize Giving at Class Dinner Thursday Night

Tues, Nov 15th   1000-1200   Artemis Base Tour (14ppl)   Morgans Point
   1200-1700   Crane Service Open   Barrs Bay Park
   1000-1600   Registration   RBYC
   1900-2100   Opening Reception   Goslings Wine Bar

Wed, Nov 16th
0900   Competitor Briefing   RBYC Terrace
   0900-1030   Crane Service Open   Barrs Bay Park
   1155   Racing - 1st Warning   Great Sound

Thurs, Nov 17th   1055   Racing resumes   Great Sound
   1830-2000   Cocktail Reception & Class Dinner   RBYC

Fri, Nov 18th   1055   Racing resumes   Great Sound
   1800   Oracle Presentation & Q/A   RBYC

Sat, Nov 19th
1055   Racing resumes   Great Sound
          * No racing to start after 1330   Great Sound
   1430-1700   Crane Service Open   Barrs Bay
   1900   Reception and Prize Giving   RHADC Dining Room

Goslings Facility Tours

Goslings Black Seal® Rum has become synonymous with Bermuda. It is an essential ingredient in Bermuda fish chowder, adds the island flavor to the Bermuda Rum Swizzle, and is the tempest in Bermuda's favorite cocktail the Dark 'n Stormy®.  There will be sign up sheets at competitor check-in on Saturday Nov 12th for behind the scenes facility tours being held on Tuesday 15th Nov, 10am, 11am, and 1pm at their Dundonald Street address.

AC Base Tours

We have been awaiting final replies from the three resident AC teams for some time now regarding having base tours conducted for visiting Viper sailors.  Unfortunately because the ACWS is running concurrently in Japan, Team Soft Bank Japan will not be able to run a tour at all due to their small team size and no available personnel.  Oracle Team USA has recently changed their policy regarding tours and will not be able to offer an on site tour, but we have instead organized a speaker/presentation on the Friday night at RBYC with a Q/A after.  All are invited to this presentation, the bar and food service at the club will be open before and after the event.
This brings us to Artemis Racing, who have graciously offered a limited tour given their teams commitments in Japan.  There will be a strict no photography policy, and visitors will have to sign non-disclosure agreements before entering the premises.
Judging from feedback, this activity is in high demand and short in supply, so the 14 available tickets will go up for raffle.  Competitors who are interested in attending can purchase a raffle on the Yacht Scoring site (or as many raffle tickets as they like to increase their chances!) and 14 names will be randomly drawn on Monday 14th Nov.  In the event a competitor name is drawn more than once, the competitor will decide who they take with them.  Part proceeds will go to the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation (ASSF).  The tour takes place at the team base on Morgan's Point at 10am Tuesday Nov 15th and competitors will be responsible to get themselves there - we can provide directions.

Security

There has been a question raised of what to do with your belongings at each club while you go sailing.  Keep in mind that generally the clubs are safe places and you shouldn't have any trouble with your belongings during the day.  At the RBYC the boats will be sailing from inside the marina, and leaving bags on the floating docks out of the way should be fine.  Leaving items in locked trailer boxes in the adjacent Barrs Bay Park will also be ok.  At the RHADC the boat yard (previously known as the tennis courts) has a lock on the gate and can be secured.

Crew Names

Please take the time to enter in your crew details into the Yacht Scoring web site by logging in and going to "My Crew List" and then clicking the button "Add Crew".  If your crew are not listed at the link below, you need to do this.
http://www.yachtscoring.com/crew_list_report.cfm?eid=1577

Measurement

Just a reminder – in order to complete registration and race on Wednesday, all Vipers need to be inspected and have their inspection form signed by a Technical Committee member.  Find Bob Matthews, Rod Beurteaux or Dave Nickerson (usually at RBYC) or Nigel Brownett (usually at RHADC) and set up a time with them.  They plan to do as may boats as possible starting late Saturday afternoon, Sunday/Monday (when not sailing) and Tuesday.  Please get inspected as early as possible - and be prepared – it's their vacation time too.
The inspection form is attached so you know what will be reviewed.  Please have your boat ready, out of the water, and all equipment present. Any sails you might want to race with (up to 2 sets) must be present at inspection and have Viper Class registration stickers that match the hull number (except for charter boats).  If you need to buy any registration stickers, head to PayPal now.  http://www.viper640.org/technical/rules/sail-button-purchase-and-how-to-register-sails/ .  Include a note that you'll pick up the stickers in Bermuda.  Dave and Bob will have plenty of registration stickers in Bermuda, but it's difficult to deal with payment in Bermuda.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eid=1577

If you have any questions please get in touch with me.

Somers Kempe

Sorry - please note that the "Crane Service" on Sat Nov 12th at RHADC is to have the double stack trailers unstacked in the boat yard.

Otherwise, there is a 24/7 crane on the dock at RHADC for use by single trailer Viper owners.  As per the Warm Up regatta NoR, people are free to wet sail or dry sail that event. 

At RBYC, the boats will be launching out of a public park (Barrs Bay Park) with the noted operating crane times.

In water marina berthing will be available all week at both clubs.