Trailer registration - Bennett-era trailers

Started by Peter Beardsley, January 20, 2015, 11:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Beardsley

I have a friend who is buying a Bennett Viper.  The trailer is as old as the boat (18+ years) and I don't think the owner is the original owner, and I'm not sure that the past owner registered the trailer (in a different state).  Consequently, the new owner is encountering a trailer registration issue. 

Does anyone have any experience with this issue and getting old trailer titles for these boats or MSOs for the trailers?  The homebuilt registration route is probably not an option given the complexity involved.  Thanks. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Jonathan Nye

Consider trying to register the trailer in Maine. Can be done online.

https://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/

Jonathan

Doug Mroz

Considering my boat was almost impounded going to a regatta, yeah I have some experience with this. I had the exact same situation. My advice is talk to your DMV and write down everything they say. They will say one thing and later something different. Finally, after getting different info from the DMV, I had to take pictures of the trailer and type up a bill of sale with specific mention of the trailer, how much I bought it for and have the owner I bought it from sign it and get it notarized. The original bill of sale would not work because it was a copy.

Olaf Bleck

To be legal, a trailer needs a VIN and plate.  Most trailers built in the US in recent history have a VIN on them somewhere, either stamped into the metal usually on the tongue, or a plate riveted on somewhere, or sticker.  If the trailer has any of this, all you need to do is get a registration (i.e. the plate).  It varies by state as well, but usually you can fill out an affidavit of ownership if you don't have a title.  Bringing a bill of sale for the boat if you have one can help.  The DMV's will be able to search by the VIN for any back taxes or fees owed if applicable, so be prepared for that.  For instance, I had a trailer that went from the US to Canada, was reg'd there, and then brought back in the US illegally apparently, so import duties were due.  Anyway, once they believe you own it, you can get a plate and in some states a title too if you want.  Some states don't require trailer titles.

If you don't have the VIN because the stamping is unreadable or the plate is gone (ehhhmmmm...), then you can get a new VIN by getting the trailer inspected at the DMV.  They'll look it over for a VIN and if there isn't a discernible one, they affix a new VIN sticker on it, charge you a fee, and make you sign some papers.  Then you can get a registration/plate as normal.

Anyway, that's my experience with a number of random trailers in Massachusetts, Arizona, and California.  California is kind of nice because they have "perma-plates" which permanently stay with the trailer even when you get rid of it, and have a ~10yr registration.  Arizona has the easiest DMV and nicest people at that, and is really inexpensive, thought they like things notarized.

That said, and as Doug experienced, you might have to jump through some hoops depending on where you are and the circumstances.

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)