Jib halyard exit block.

Started by John Learmonth, January 19, 2015, 06:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Learmonth

I have replaced my jib halyard twice this year, worn at the exit on the mast, have opened up the slot and realigned the pulley but must work under load. Is this a common problem, can we fit an exit block in the mast? Admittedly the last change enabled me to fit the 2-1 purchase, but will be more expensive to replace the longer halyard now.
John L
Aus

Dave Nickerson

John - the class rules allow you to put a block on the tank directly across from the jib halyard exit.  The boats originally came like this and it eliminates the problems you are having.

"8.6 Pad eyes and turning blocks for the jib halyard located on the port side-tank directly athwartship of the mast. The floating fine tune double block would ride on the halyard between the port side tank block and the through-deck sheave above. This enables much fairer leads than the current factory setup, decreasing failure-inducing forward stress on the jib halyard-turning block pad-eye on the mast and off-angle wear on the through-deck sheave."

Attached is the description and photo that was part of the materials sent to owners in 2013 when voting on the rule change.

Dave Nickerson
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

John Learmonth

John L
Aus