Viper as training boat?

Started by emc_ret, January 03, 2015, 11:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emc_ret

Does anyone have experience teaching beginner sailing using Viper?  Viper is much more powerful than typical J/22 or Colgate 26 type training keel boats,  it is more similar to dinghy trainer like RS Vision.  What are the features of Viper that make it good or bad as training boat?

John Leyland

I can think of 3 things right off the top:
1) Big wide open cockpit with a GNAV instead of a vang.  This will provide a lot of room for an instructor with a full crew.
2) Bulb keel gives righting moment of a keel boat with the feel and planing ability of a dinghy.
3) Fine tune on the jib provides instructor with an easy way to teach jib tension and changes to draft.   
Viper 191 - "Moistened Bint"
Vancouver, BC

Craig Wilusz

I can't say we have used our Viper as a trainer, but we have gotten some people very interested in sailing once they sailed with us.  One or two have gotten their own beginner sailboats since sailing with us on #100.  So I think the Viper is great for getting the interest up.

C
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Cole Constantineau

The Viper is a powerful and 'delicate' boat, helm wise, but I think those factors can make for an excellent trainer boat.  To be honest, the best sailors are typically those who have learned in dinghies.  The Viper is a nice middle road--it telegraphs sail and hull trim to the tiller like a dinghy, but it's a boat you can step onto off the dock without worrying about capsizing etc..  I prefer teaching people how to sail on the Viper over something like a Sonar anyday--it's much clearer when things are being done right or wrong.

As a side note, Kay Vanvalkenburg spent quite a bit of time training a blind sailor the helm on the Viper this summer.  I thought it went very well...