Are You A Sportboat?

Started by Peter Beardsley, August 13, 2013, 02:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Beardsley

The local junior sailing association came up with a "sportboat compliance form" for junior sailors who borrow keelboats for PHRF regattas (that are sailed other juniors -- there are only 2 such regattas per year organized by the JSALIS, which are this week at the end of the junior sailing summer to wrap up the programs).  Sportboats are not permitted to be used by the juniors in these races -- this thread is not to debate the merits of that decision at all, but I threw the Viper's specs into the compliance form, which is a spreadsheet that takes data and tells you based on that data, whether your boat is a sportboat or not.  The spreadsheet from the JSALIS confirmed that a Viper is a sportboat (big sigh of relief). 

For kicks, I threw in the specs for the J/70...lo and behold...the J/70 is not a sportboat according to the JSALIS.  Hey, they said it, not me...moot point though since the events don't allow boats under 27 feet LOA.  But still funny.  If only there was a column on the spreadsheet for "afterburners"...I'm sure that would have put the 70 over the top. 

Compliance forms for both boats attached with the data. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Jeff Jones

boy, this will settle a lot of debate on anarchy. 

when will you post?  need to make some popcorn and get in my jammies

Justin Scott

So now the J70 is a "family friendly" non sport boat.

But will chicks dig it?
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee