Lowers

Started by Chris Ganne, August 03, 2013, 12:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Ganne

I have pinned lowers and would like to switch to the open turnbuckles.  Just picked up boat last weekend and when rigged for first time set the uppers to 32 on the Loos and the lowers sagged quite a bit.  They were set at the #2 slot.

When on the APS site it asks for length from bearing surface to bearing surface at a normal setting (medium air).  I realize that each boat is unique and that not everyone's lower lengths will be the same but can anyone give me some numbers that I can compare against.  Normal air I'm assuming should have some reading on the Loos?

With the turnbuckles I should have some play but I would like to get as close as possible to widen my range of adjustment.

Thanks all
Viper #72
wave*ohs

Ben Steinberg

If the current lowers are in good shape take them to a local rigger have him chop the pin adjusters and swage on turnbuckles.  Pin the adjusters as tight as you can which probably isn't very tight and have that be somewhere near the mid point of the turnbuckles.  Play a little with letting it out an inch or talking it in an inch, that's about the range of the turnbuckle.  Should save some bucks this way too. 

Chris Ganne

One of the lowers is shot and unraveling, rather replace both at same time.  What should the Loos read on lowers for normal/medium air?
Viper #72
wave*ohs

Justin Scott

Quote from: Chris Ganne on August 03, 2013, 03:52:37 PM
One of the lowers is shot and unraveling, rather replace both at same time.  What should the Loos read on lowers for normal/medium air?

Nothing. Just snug.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Dave Nickerson

Loos guage is useless on lowers.  I think the only way to get them right is to go sailing.  We sail upwind with the rig loaded.  Then someone sits on the foredeck facing aft and sights up the front of the mast.  In hiking conditions (after adjusting the uppers the right tightness per your sailmaker), we adjust the lowers so that the mast is straight side to side from the hounds down.  The top will always bend off a bit.  In lighter air will sometime sag the middle of the mast to leeward by 1/2 to 1".  Simple and easy, but only with turnbuckles on the lowers.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Chris Ganne

If I set lowers to setting #1, this is kind of snug.  This length is 152.25", I'm assuming that ordering this length from APS they would rig this to be middle setting with adjustments of about an inch each way?

Would someone let me know if that length seems about right?  Hull number is #72 with a carbon rig for reference.

Thank you
Viper #72
wave*ohs

Jeff Jones

I'd send your existing lowers in and have them match them.   In fact, I think the APS guys would recommend that.

As far as the lowers go and tuning, we put a mark on our caps 3' above deck level and measure deflection of the lowers relative to that spot.   The gap ranges from 1" to 1.5" I think?   I got this idea from the doyle guys, if memory serves

Peter Beardsley

Chris,

I agree that it is best to match off your existing set, but if it helps your peace of mind, 152.75" is generally pretty close.  I just got new open turnbuckle lowers from APS and at their middle setting they are 153.5" -- that said, you and I have different boats, different vintages, etc.  It shouldn't matter, but sometimes things don't match perfectly.  But it sounds like you're in the ballpark. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Drew Harper

Not sure where you live Chris but any rig shop can easily build these. You'd be surprised what the local construction industry will support regarding rigging. Lots of architectural and industrial riggers out there with rotoswagers. No reason to send your wire out.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Jeff Jones

chris, let us know what you end up doing and how it works out.

Mauri Pro can also match your lowers if you send the old ones to him.  Juan actively supports the viper class so good to give him some business.

Quote from: Drew Harper on August 07, 2013, 10:40:30 AM
Not sure where you live Chris but any rig shop can easily build these. You'd be surprised what the local construction industry will support regarding rigging. Lots of architectural and industrial riggers out there with rotoswagers. No reason to send your wire out.

Drew Harper

Second that on Juan...I think he now owns APS too though. (correction...Layline)

MauriPro has been a huge supporter of the Viper and it's owner, Juan is one hell of sailor and generally good guy!
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Craig Wilusz

Didn't he just recently acquire Layline?
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur