Headstay Length

Started by Justin Scott, June 05, 2013, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Furna

A couple of years ago, Eric and I measured 55 next to 119 and there was a difference on forestay mount distance from the mast. Can't remember exactly how much....but enough that he measured a couple of times..

Justin Scott

Quote from: Darren Gilbert on June 06, 2013, 02:02:17 PM
Thanks Jeff.

I will measure from where the bow terminates to the centre of the hole where the forestay would attach.

I'll try to get as many boats as I can.

Cheers!
Darren

So if the older boats, the stem fitting is futher fwd than the new boats. Jeff buys Justin beer.
If the older boats, the stem fitting is further aft than the new boats, Justin buys Jeff beer.
Since Jeff drinks twice as much beer as Justin, I'm like giving him odds of two to one.

I'm feeling pretty good about this one. Its going to be better than my wager on the Pats vs the Giants.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Ben Steinberg

3. Headstay (Forestay): Baseline setup suggests that for optimum helm balance (assuming the mast step is positioned as described above), the headstay (forestay) length should be 7571mm/298" (from the bearing point of the "T" tang to the bearing point of the lower pin).
Note: On Bennett built boats (hull #s under 69), the headstay chainplate is 20mm (.75") further aft. The above headstay measurements should be reduced by 8mm (.3") to compensate.

Straight from Brian's original tuning guide. Get your wallet out Justin.

Justin Scott

Oh dear.

Jeff. Its on me.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Jeff Jones

Oh, I didn't even think to look at Brian's tuning guide.  So Darren - make sure you follow what Ben said when comparing headstay lengths between boats. 

don't worry Justin, I drink cheap beer.

Darren Gilbert

Hi Guys.  Steve Conger and I did some measuring on the weekend in Chicago.

Boats 29, 43, and 106 all head a measurement of 10 7/8" from the tip of the bow to the centre of the eye on the forestay.

194 was 10 3/8" from the same point.

Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Glenn Vanheel

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 10, 2013, 09:37:45 AM
Oh, I didn't even think to look at Brian's tuning guide.  So Darren - make sure you follow what Ben said when comparing headstay lengths between boats. 

[/quote

Tecate if I recall. Can't get any cheaper than that! I recall you leaving a 12pk on my boat after a b-day regatta a while back. Took it home and sat in the garage fridge for quite a while as nobody would touch the crap. Of course it was next to the pacifico!
F'ing Walker!

Jeff Jones

You socal boys are SO spoiled.

Quote from: Glenn Vanheel on June 10, 2013, 11:51:30 AM
Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 10, 2013, 09:37:45 AM

[/quote

Tecate if I recall. Can't get any cheaper than that! I recall you leaving a 12pk on my boat after a b-day regatta a while back. Took it home and sat in the garage fridge for quite a while as nobody would touch the crap. Of course it was next to the pacifico!

Craig Walker

Bump for us noobies.

I have a Mark IV, and found this in the owners manual:
"Measure the forestay BS to BS (Bearing Surface to Bearing Surface) and lock
off the adjuster at 24ft 6"."

Both the Quantum and North guides specify 7588mm, which Google calculates to be 24'-10.75". North further specifies it should be within 1cm, or 4/10ths of an inch.

I sail Ullmans, and they indicate 52 inches using the arc method. Problem is the dog collar for the GNAV has rubbed off and moved the white marking tape, so I'm trying to get a better measurement for the entire wire.

Any suggestions/clarifications??  Thanks!
Viper #212, Boiling Point

Tim Carter

Lt Coast Gov

Peter Beardsley

Measure where someone else's white tape is and re-mark your mast. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Drew Harper

Craig, go measure Timbo's turnbuckle length and duplicate. Headstays are all pretty close on the cutting table.

I'd ask Keith for a total headstay length. IME, using the arc method is great if you're 100% sure that the dude with the tape didn't have a couple of pints with lunch :-D
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Ben Steinberg

The bottom edge of the tape sits on the upper edge of the stainless goose neck bracket. 

Justin Scott

Go out sailing. Adjust the length of the headstay until you have a balanced helm (slight weather helm) with shrouds tight enough that mast is staying in column. That will be the right length for your boat with your sails.

Too much helm = tighten the headstay.
Too little helm = lengthen the headstay.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Craig Walker

Thank you everyone for the all the great answers!
Viper #212, Boiling Point