Bow sprit rule clarification

Started by Reid Smythe, May 01, 2013, 11:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reid Smythe

"4.10  The Sprit shall be made of carbon, complying with Class approved specifications and supplied by a Class approved builder. The extended length from the center of the headstay pin to the bearing point of the tack line shall not exceed 190cm"

The way I read that, the measurement is a straight line from the headstay pin to the very end of the bowsprit (where the tack line stopper rests in the hole), right?  I'm unsure about the term 'bearing point of the tack line'.  Right now I'm measuring that to be 68" which is about 6" short of the 190cm if I have the measurement right.

Dan Tucker

According to ISAF, the way you measure such a thing is to pull the tackline perpendicular to the pole. The inboard side of the tack line then shows the bearing point. And yes, it's a straight line measurement to the center of the forestay pin.

Your tackline may be too short to allow the pole to extend fully, or you have to move the stopper ball out further on the tackline.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
Race it like you stole it.

Drew Harper

Reid,

Popoff the tip of the pole (small screw under the tape) and stick a tape on the pole line.

Total Line length is 16'1"

You can also view where the knot is. I suspect the knot is tied 6" too short and just needs to be let out a bit.

Let me know....d
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"