Alum mast rig settings

Started by Eric Poulsen, April 30, 2013, 05:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Poulsen

Anyone have some baseline alum mast rig settings?  Just need basic starting points to get me by until I have time to go get the carbon mast. Eric

Tim Carter

Eric, when I sailed that boat..  mast all the way back in the step unless the last owner moved the step back..  Your headstay length is fixed...  cap shrouds about 32, set-up lowers so you just have a slight amount of sag to leward, spreader length and sweep are not adjustable..  Adjust cap tension according to wind strength, should appear slight loose to leward when in a max hike, sheet condition.

keep her as flat as possible, drive for speed all the time.

Get you boat down early and I will go out with you and help you with set-up.  I may know of crew who have sailed your boat that may be availible for LBRW..??
Lt Coast Gov

Eric Poulsen

Justin Scott

From memory (5+ years since folks raced with tin rigs around here):

- 32 is not a bad base setting. Its a tree trunk so you are not going to get much prebend down low. Its all about controlling the head stay.
In big breeze you can get 39/42 on the loos gauge.

- The head stay is shorter than carbon boats sail with. I had the mast butt noticeably further fwd than carbon rig. I seem to recall varying 1 - 2 holes showing behind rig.  Play with mast butt to get balanced helm

- You can compete in light to light/medium but when the breeze pipes up, you will have a  hard time keeping up with the carbon rigs upwind.....but you'll still be having fun.

Welcome to class and enjoy yr boat.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Drew Harper

Quote from: Tim Carter on April 30, 2013, 07:55:39 PM
Eric, when I sailed that boat..  mast all the way back in the step unless the last owner moved the step back..  Your headstay length is fixed...  cap shrouds about 32, set-up lowers so you just have a slight amount of sag to leward, spreader length and sweep are not adjustable..  Adjust cap tension according to wind strength, should appear slight loose to leward when in a max hike, sheet condition.

keep her as flat as possible, drive for speed all the time.

Get you boat down early and I will go out with you and help you with set-up.  I may know of crew who have sailed your boat that may be availible for LBRW..??

Timbo, if the crew I think you're talking about....he's not allowed to sail LBRW....he's WAAAY too fast !!
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"