Spin Halyard Length and Size

Started by Steve Gilbert, March 18, 2013, 07:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Amthor

We have been using Rooster Polilite as its made inside out such that I doesn't tangle as much. I think it started in the Laser class.

Peter Beardsley

I've overthought the spin halyard quite a bit over the years and am now back to using 5mm stock Marlow super prestretch believe it or not.  I've used 4mm stuff and found it too hard on the hands.  I've used expensive stuff and had mixed results (except for SK90, which was way too expensive but was added to 222 as a charter fee by someone else who wanted a Gucci setup - it was nice, but you'd hope a halyard would be nice after you spent $300 on it...). I still think 6mm is too thick if you sail in light air more often than not, though admittedly it's really nice if you sail in 10+ kts consistently. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Parker Hoblin

Went the overkill route, Samson MLX 6mm, Defender Marine had it for a reasonable price, 6mm cause I like my crew to not be bleeding on the boat. Hoping for a nukin' summer on Lake Champlain
#22 'Mongoose' Bennett Built

Lee Shuckerow

Not sure why people think an extra mm of halyard is slow in light air. The only reasonable argument would be weight up high.
Also smaller halyards slip through the bigger cam cleats.
Jackpot  #235

Parker Hoblin

RE: Tech committee interpretation on no-taper for spin sheets/halyards.

Does this count for the retrieval end as well? 6mm with case, 4mm without. Still meets the size requirements and reduces the weight being held by the button.  Also makes the size passing through the blocks smaller so hopefully less snarls?

Keeping the case on for now.I was thinking of stripping the last 12-15' on the retrieval end.
#22 'Mongoose' Bennett Built

Peter Beardsley

I am not on the Tech Committee, but am 99.99% sure that no tapering of halyards means no tapering of any part of the halyard. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Dave Nickerson

Viper #208 - Noank, CT