Spin Halyard Length and Size

Started by Steve Gilbert, March 18, 2013, 07:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Gilbert

Anyone have a recommendation for Spinnaker halyard length and reasonable size? The one we have on The Sheep right now is just one mm larger than piano wire and needs to be replaced.
Viper #194 - Black Sheep

Tim Carter

I run 5mm and it's about 85'.  the actual length is somewhat dependant on where you puller patches are on your kite.  Start with 90' and shorten as you see fit.
Lt Coast Gov

Justin Scott

6.1   (a)...............................

(d)  Halyards and the retrieval line shall be a minimum diameter of 4.0 mm (approx 3/16").

I also run 5mm. , 4.0mm is class minimum.
A crew without slices in their hoisting hands is a happy crew.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Steve Gilbert

Thank you for your help guys.. I seem to recall that Brad and Lee said something about switching to 6mm for the plush factor but can't remember for sure. the NA's are a bit of a blur.. anyone using 6mm for comfort?
Viper #194 - Black Sheep

Ben Steinberg

6mm paraloc marlin. Been using the same line for 4 years too. It's not about how well you sail it's about how plush your lines (and crew) are.

Steve Gilbert

Viper #194 - Black Sheep

Brad Boston

We use 6mm at 88'. Does not knot as easy at 6mm and the bow does not cry as much...

Peter Beardsley

That said, when you see a 6mm spin halyard, you say to yourself "wow, that looks slow."  Then you realize whose boat it is on and you say "ok, clearly they are making it work, but it's got to be in spite of that crazy thick spin halyard."  Then Lee defends the spin halyard selection for 10 minutes.  I still find it hard to believe that in light air, the extra weight of a halyard that size doesn't make a difference, but having smooth douses and happy crew may be worth the tradeoff. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Steve Gilbert

hum... good feedback no one wants to look slow thats for sure...

As crew for a majority of our races, I am all for the 'no crying' option.

Will let you know how it turns out. 
Viper #194 - Black Sheep

Garrett Johns

Peter, what kind of spin line will fix my problem of looking slow AND being slow?? Glad to hear about this, I've been wondering what my problem is!
:)
USA 129
Anacortes WA

Steve Gilbert

how about a tapered one whit a 5mm tail to connect to the retrieval side?
I am sure it must be illegal but that would sure look fast anyhow...
Viper #194 - Black Sheep

Peter Beardsley

PART D – Technical Committee Interpretations

14.1  Rule 6.1 is interpreted to mean that tapered sheets and halyards are prohibited.
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Steve Gilbert

Viper #194 - Black Sheep

Reid Smythe

hmmmm....save the case and stitch it back on for class events?

Parker Hoblin

I'm happy to report that the 6mm Paraloc Marlin the Ben bought for the boat (#22) finally bit the dust, fall of 2016.

2009-2016....value for money. Shopping for a suitable replacement before spring.
#22 'Mongoose' Bennett Built