Main Halyard Slippage

Started by Scott Raines, March 11, 2013, 12:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Tucker

Used that sort of set up on the ex-wife's Paralympic winning SKUD-18 originally. Fixed length halyard with an eye splice on the mast butt end, and some junky line for the hoisting (unloaded) tail.

Eventually ditched that "alligator back" cleat and swapped to a hook on the end of a 3:1 or 4:1 tensioner, going to a single aluminum v-cleat!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Race it like you stole it.

Matt Sole

The problem with the 2:1 jib halyard is that halves the effectiveness of the fine tune. One of the top features on a viper is the jib fine tune.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Tim Carter

Quote from: Matt Sole on March 26, 2013, 12:40:31 AM
The problem with the 2:1 jib halyard is that halves the effectiveness of the fine tune. One of the top features on a viper is the jib fine tune.
Yes more line will need to transit the system, but now you could adjust the the halyard under load in breeze without dumping the sheet 1st...  With it you would have a 4:1 advantage, unlike the current 2:1
Lt Coast Gov

Jon Stubbs

We're using it on a few boats here and the others are interested. Nobody has had any trouble with it.

As for the halyard length you don't really notice a difference. With the old system or the new one, we have always coiled our halyards so they don't come undone and put them in the pocket on the spinnaker chute or just under the deck.

As for the fine tune, its not harder... its easier.  You haven't halved the effectiveness of the fine tune... you've  doubled it. At times, with the old system it was a bit of struggle to pull on the fine tune in a big breeze. Now its a piece of cake....

Does it improve the boat speed of your boat over one that stays standard - probably not
Does it make the boat easier to sail - definitely especially if you have a small forward hand.
Does it increase cost of boat - not sure (4 metres of extra rope and a block as opposed to an extra cleat - depends on the cleat I guess.) I don't think we will have to replace a turning block or saddle for quite a while and that is worth quite a lot to me... I hate maintenance...

Jeff Jones

Interesting, the similarities between Texas and Australia

from the site;

both have a somewhat similar culture. Cowboys/stockmen, a love of country music in the 'Outback' of each place. A reputation for being down to earth and friendly and 'red-blooded.' In the stereotypical accents of both the word 'snake' sounds like 'snike' to American ears, lol. Both are well known for their wide open spaces and everything being 'big.'

Jon, you rule-breaker.  Keep doing what you do ;-)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas/1551228-starting-parallels-between-texas-australia-houston.html#ixzz2OfRE9lNC

Matt Sole

Quote from: Tim Carter on March 26, 2013, 03:22:30 AM
Quote from: Matt Sole on March 26, 2013, 12:40:31 AM
Yes more line will need to transit the system, but now you could adjust the the halyard under load in breeze without dumping the sheet 1st...  With it you would have a 4:1 advantage, unlike the current 2:1

Wrong. Just because a line goes over a sheave it does not have 2:1. Its 1:1. So with a block on the jib head you make it 2:1
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Matt Sole

Quote from: Jon Stubbs on March 26, 2013, 06:01:25 AM

As for the fine tune, its not harder... its easier.  You haven't halved the effectiveness of the fine tune... you've  doubled it. At times, with the old system it was a bit of struggle to pull on the fine tune in a big breeze. Now its a piece of cake....

Does it make the boat easier to sail - definitely especially if you have a small forward hand.

Yes it makes the fine tune easier to pull but by doing so it halves the effectiveness on the halyard. Simple mathematics.

I don't know how small your "forward hand" is but i sailed with a skinny 19 year old girl and never once did she complain or struggle with the standard fine tune set up. Time for your "forward hand" to HTFU!!!
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Jon Stubbs

We're looking toward the future.....
The next thing we are looking at are sliding Zimmer frames for us old bastards!!!!!

Jeff Jones

I don't think we adjust 6 inches from wrinkles to full on pucker mode. So...  Now it's twelve inches.   Ain't nutin wrong with 12 inches Matt.

I understand your probably used to working with a much shorter stroke....  :-)

Quote from: Matt Sole on March 26, 2013, 07:20:38 PM

Yes it makes the fine tune easier to pull but by doing so it halves the effectiveness on the halyard. Simple mathematics.

I don't know how small your "forward hand" is but i sailed with a skinny 19 year old girl and never once did she complain or struggle with the standard fine tune set up. Time for your "forward hand" to HTFU!!!

Glenn Vanheel

Well, he does have a skinny 19 yr old female! Or shall we call him on that and say pics man!

Quote from: Jeff Jones on March 26, 2013, 10:58:42 PM
I don't think we adjust 6 inches from wrinkles to full on pucker mode. So...  Now it's twelve inches.   Ain't nutin wrong with 12 inches Matt.

F'ing Walker!

Jeff Jones

You dirty ol man.

Ok, pics sole

Quote from: Glenn Vanheel on March 27, 2013, 12:32:41 AM
Well, he does have a skinny 19 yr old female! Or shall we call him on that and say pics man!

Glenn Vanheel

I wouldn't say dirty jones, lets say still functioning!

Quote from: Jeff Jones on March 27, 2013, 06:55:24 AM
You dirty ol man.

Ok, pics sole

F'ing Walker!

Jeff Jones

And that's what it's all about...  At out age eh glen

Quote from: Glenn Vanheel on March 27, 2013, 09:35:23 AM

You dirty ol man.

Ok, pics sole

Glenn Vanheel

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm once as good as I've ever been!

Quote from: Jeff Jones on March 27, 2013, 09:00:25 PM
And that's what it's all about...  At out age eh glen

Quote from: Glenn Vanheel on March 27, 2013, 09:35:23 AM

You dirty ol man.

Ok, pics sole

F'ing Walker!

Matt Sole

Justin can attest to the quality of my crew, he introduced her to me...

There is nothing wrong with a 6 inch stroke when you have a 19yo girl who can work it properly...
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78